DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would the p0700 come on just because the p0740 is bad? my car is running fine except its a little funny and the rpms and shifting down. i need to fix this asap. SO... is the p0740 a part i can fix? please tell me each part it can be and where i mite locate it to replace it. im assuming its not the torque converter as it changes gears and there was no noises.. ive been driving it but i want to get it fixed asap and i dont have 1000$ to pay a dealer. please give me info

·
Registered
520 Posts
I had those too

I had those same two codes. It turned out that the torque converter was bad. Both the dealer and AAMCO wanted to re-build at a cost of around $3500. I found a used trans with 75K miles on it, and paid someone $1335 to install it. You'll probably have to have someone tell you exactly what the codes mean as they aren't the same for all cases, as far I know. Check around, particularly on Craigslist, and Car-parts.com. There are deals out there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
You can't tell

My torque converter was bad, but you couldn't tell by driving. I would never have known there was anything wrong with the trans if the CEL hadn't come on. It drove fine right to the end.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
P0700 is just a generic Code for the transmission (What the Keydance Shows) and the P0740 is the underlining code that is the real concern.

The code P0740 can be set by the Torque Converter going out as some have stated, or it could be the solenoid pack (L/R Solenoid) giving false readings to the computer and is setting the code.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,950 Posts
P0740 is specific to the torque converter only. Here's a description of it from the transmission diagnostics manual:

Symptom:
P0740-TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CONTROL CIRCUIT
When Monitored and Set Condition:
P0740-TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH CONTROL CIRCUIT
When Monitored: The Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) is in FEMCC or PEMCC, Transmission
temperature is hot, Engine temperature is greater than 38° C or 100° F,
Transmission Input Speed greater than 1750 RPM, TPS less than 30°.
Set Condition: The TCC is modulated by controlling the duty cycle of the L/R Solenoid
until the difference between the Engine and the Transmission Input Speed RPM or duty
cycle is within a desired range. The DTC is set after the period of 10 seconds and 3
occurrences of either: FEMCC - with slip greater than 100 RPM or PEMCC - duty cycle
greater than 85%.

P0750 is the code for the LR(Low/Reverse) Solenoid Circuit. As taken from the same manual:

Symptom:
P0750-LR SOLENOID CIRCUIT
When Monitored and Set Condition:
P0750-LR SOLENOID CIRCUIT
When Monitored: Initially at power-up, then every 10 seconds thereafter. The solenoids
will also be tested immediately after a gear ratio or pressure switch error is detected.
Set Condition: Three consecutive solenoid continuity test failures, or one failure if test is
run in response to a gear ratio or pressure switch error.

It looks like a rebuild is in order for that transmission. You could try just changing the torque converter but I wouldn't want to pull the transmission twice if that didn't fix it! I would find a low mileage used transmission myself and have someone install it.

·
yippee ki yay
5,811 Posts
P0740 is specific to the torque converter only. Here's a description of it from the transmission diagnostics manual:
Yep that is the code I just pull on the Sebring I just rebuild the motor on last month.....it looks like I have a trans to rebuild in a week or 2 not to metion 2 more Intrepids with bad 2.7's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.