DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am gonna kill two birds with one stone in this posting...

First...I am going to help a buddy replace a front fender on an 01 Sable....He got the panel from FLM primed and ready to paint...
WHAT SHOULD THAT COST? I am

Next...I have managed to wrinkle my right rear quarter at the top of the wheelwell...(pic will be here tomorrow...too dark outside now...) Can this be fixed via "paintless" or am I going to have to learn to do more body repair?

Thanks all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,100 Posts
wineguydfw said:
I am gonna kill two birds with one stone in this posting...

First...I am going to help a buddy replace a front fender on an 01 Sable....He got the panel from FLM primed and ready to paint...
WHAT SHOULD THAT COST? I am

Next...I have managed to wrinkle my right rear quarter at the top of the wheelwell...(pic will be here tomorrow...too dark outside now...) Can this be fixed via "paintless" or am I going to have to learn to do more body repair?

Thanks all
as long as the paint isn't damaged i bet paintless dent removal could fix your problem. As far as painting the fender, shouldn't cost more than $100 or so, if you're replacing the fender yourselves.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,621 Posts
wineguydfw said:
I am gonna kill two birds with one stone in this posting...

First...I am going to help a buddy replace a front fender on an 01 Sable....He got the panel from FLM primed and ready to paint...
WHAT SHOULD THAT COST? I am

Next...I have managed to wrinkle my right rear quarter at the top of the wheelwell...(pic will be here tomorrow...too dark outside now...) Can this be fixed via "paintless" or am I going to have to learn to do more body repair?

Thanks all

For the first question, all shops vary on their prices. But I wouldn't pay anything over $100-$200 TOPS! Second question, if it is a wrinkle and I am picturing it in my mind correctly, bodywork will need to be done. Without a pic I would be wasting both of our time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,100 Posts
unkut2003 said:
For the first question, all shops vary on their prices. But I wouldn't pay anything over $100-$200 TOPS! Second question, if it is a wrinkle and I am picturing it in my mind correctly, bodywork will need to be done. Without a pic I would be wasting both of our time!

what he said. He's a body guy. i didn't exactly know what a wrinkle was :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
yeah, you say wrinkle I am assuming you mean a crease almost, no paintless removal of that. secondly why not put the fender on, take it to a shop and have them do a blend into the door so it doesnt look so crappy. Unless the color is black, then no blending is needed

Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally here is a pic

Sorry this took so long...I have some more pics to show different angles..but this one pretty much captures the "OOPS!"
I really appreciate everyone's input...Body work is the one area I haven't really tackled much...but am ready and willing to start trying....

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=9



I have put the link in because...I have no idea if I put the image in properly....

Regarding the Sable fender....If we put it on..so they can blend...Will it cost about the same as having it shot off the car?????

THANKS AGAIN >...Ever have a question regarding wine....Allow me the opportunity to pay ya back ....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
627 Posts
even with black paint you will need to blend,there is more than one shade of black paint.also the paintless dent removal is for simple dents that will pop right out,not wrinkles or waves if the metal is creased at all it wont work,it might pop out the dent but the creases will still be there and the paint more than likely will be cracked,what it prolly needs is to be straitened then repainted and blended :icon_lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,621 Posts
veks039 said:
even with black paint you will need to blend,there is more than one shade of black paint.also the paintless dent removal is for simple dents that will pop right out,not wrinkles or waves if the metal is creased at all it wont work,it might pop out the dent but the creases will still be there and the paint more than likely will be cracked,what it prolly needs is to be straitened then repainted and blended :icon_lol:

Just a trick of the trade... When blending, especially with lighter colors, you can add a hint of the color to the clear, making it blend more effectively! But with a crease, once removed, the paint will begin to crack and chip, so it needs to be repaired properly which will include some bodywork, then paint!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was afraid that a quick fix was not in my future for my Trep..
With the exception of the painting (since I have no booth to do it right)...
Can a novice reshape that portion with the proper tools? Or is Bondo(not my favorite idea) a better solution?

If I do this work myself and take it in to get painted....should I have them do the whole car? or can they really blend it that well as not to be noticed? If they can, I have a two deep scratches (one hood, one rear passenger door near c pillar) and a few nicks on the door. I was gonna do these with the Duplicolor pen when I did my deep winter detailing....But, if I am gonna hire it out, surely they wouldn't charge that much more to hit these places I mentioned.

On a side note....regarding the blending on my buddy's Sable fender...he doesn't care for his cars like I do and isn't bothered by mis-matched colors....

If the outlook on doing this myself and saving some $$ isn't good....(btw...I was "displaced" last month from my job...I guess "displaced" is the newest buzz word for "FIRED")...Then I maybe planning a trip to my buddy in Akron via TOLEDO to see a body and paint man that I hear is pretty good...( :banana: ....(I am serious too!)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,621 Posts
wineguydfw said:
I was afraid that a quick fix was not in my future for my Trep..
With the exception of the painting (since I have no booth to do it right)...
Can a novice reshape that portion with the proper tools? Or is Bondo(not my favorite idea) a better solution?

If I do this work myself and take it in to get painted....should I have them do the whole car? or can they really blend it that well as not to be noticed? If they can, I have a two deep scratches (one hood, one rear passenger door near c pillar) and a few nicks on the door. I was gonna do these with the Duplicolor pen when I did my deep winter detailing....But, if I am gonna hire it out, surely they wouldn't charge that much more to hit these places I mentioned.

On a side note....regarding the blending on my buddy's Sable fender...he doesn't care for his cars like I do and isn't bothered by mis-matched colors....

If the outlook on doing this myself and saving some $$ isn't good....(btw...I was "displaced" last month from my job...I guess "displaced" is the newest buzz word for "FIRED")...Then I maybe planning a trip to my buddy in Akron via TOLEDO to see a body and paint man that I hear is pretty good...( :banana: ....(I am serious too!)
Well here is my best advice:

If you are unexperienced and attempting to remove a crease, then go through the process to prep it for paint, you may as well paint it! Then if you can't paint, you definitely won't be able to blend, lol, so all time/effort/money will look like a piece of crap. If you are going to have someone paint it then I would have them do the work too. Because to be honest, it really isn't going to save you that much money anyways, then it's guaranteed! Also, if you are wanting chips, gouges, and scrapes fixed all over the car you may as well repaint the entire car because no decent shop is going to want to touch it for the money you are gonna want to pay!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Unkut...I presumed as much....Just trying to make a go of it myself (at least in theory) and get some use out of the great new air compressor my wife got me for our anniversary.
I love this car (even more now that I have found this site!, premier membership is coming soon, I promise!) So I will most likely choose to go with the complete paint job. I will just hold off on the leather seats and the 18" rims for the summer. This "oops" is really bugging me even though it won't be too noticable once I clean off the house paint and wax and buff it up good...
Now if I am going to do the complete repaint(probably staying with Bright Silver or perhaps Black)
I am toying with the idea of an ES front end and of course a spoiler and debadging the whole car. Should I pull the dulling black metal trim on pillars/doors and have them done in a gloss black?
Any other "mild" body mods recommend?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
veks039 said:
even with black paint you will need to blend,there is more than one shade of black paint.
No, that is not true. a straight black will be the same everytime, or if its not the EXACT same its close enough that noone will ever know. At my shop we paint BMW's, Mercedes, fords, toyotas, volvos whatever and as long as the car is straight black we use the same exact can of paint for them andhave never had ANY problems with customers saying they don't match
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,621 Posts
superballs63 said:
No, that is not true. a straight black will be the same everytime, or if its not the EXACT same its close enough that noone will ever know. At my shop we paint BMW's, Mercedes, fords, toyotas, volvos whatever and as long as the car is straight black we use the same exact can of paint for them andhave never had ANY problems with customers saying they don't match
LOL, if you guys use "cans of paint" I wouldn't want my car serviced there! There are different brands of black paint. Thus the correct paint would need to be used to have a flawless job when complete.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top