DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are intrepids known for the paint chipping off of the hood??? I washed my car, and when I was waxing it I noticed some chips..i got the car about 3 months ago and have been very careful with it...I wasnt sure if its just the way these cars get after a while...thanks!! :frenzy:

·
Registered
663 Posts
I am dealing with it right now as well. I have chips all over the hood. What I had planned on doing was degreasing and depolishing the problems and filling the pit with paint over several applications. I just bought my car in Jan. I think its coming along nicely. I just completed stage two for the paint. I bought two polishing disks from Murry's. One for cleaning the other for polishing. I just did the polishing. The cleaning pad took the longest. That will ware a person out. Next time its all by hand. Looks pretty good. When parked next to my soon to be exwifes Intrepid (same year) it looks great. She never does anything, not a single polish job in all these years. She bought it new in 2000 as well. I was going to do it when we first got it. She jumped all over me for not asking her. So, I never touched the paint again. *****. Sorry. To complain. I just filed for divorce. Could not take it any longer. :bash:

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK, this is ugly, I know. But it works (for a while). Before my current Intrepid I had a black one - a company car - that I eventually bought from the company. The hood was covered with little chips from driving over the Sierras in winter and having all the sand they lay down during snow storms kick up and chip off my paint. They were little tiny chips, but there were a lot of them and they really stood out since the primer underneath is white.

One day after washing it I was standing there feeling irritated at all those chips when I had a silly idea. So I ran back in the house and grabbed the big black Sharpie pen I use to write on CDs and DVDs. I just colored in all the chips with the Sharpie and - wow! - from more than a few feet away you couldn't tell at all.

I know - that's gross. But for a quick fix it worked amazingly well. I don't know if Sharpie makes other colors, but you might check it out. I also found I had to redo them periodicaly, but short of a more expensive, time-consuming and permanent solution, the Sharpie worked amazingly well and only took a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
OK, this is ugly, I know. But it works (for a while). Before my current Intrepid I had a black one - a company car - that I eventually bought from the company. The hood was covered with little chips from driving over the Sierras in winter and having all the sand they lay down during snow storms kick up and chip off my paint. They were little tiny chips, but there were a lot of them and they really stood out since the primer underneath is white.

One day after washing it I was standing there feeling irritated at all those chips when I had a silly idea. So I ran back in the house and grabbed the big black Sharpie pen I use to write on CDs and DVDs. I just colored in all the chips with the Sharpie and - wow! - from more than a few feet away you couldn't tell at all.

I know - that's gross. But for a quick fix it worked amazingly well. I don't know if Sharpie makes other colors, but you might check it out. I also found I had to redo them periodicaly, but short of a more expensive, time-consuming and permanent solution, the Sharpie worked amazingly well and only took a couple of minutes.
Get a color wax. I used to have black Daytona, and I used Duplicolor black wax, and it covered a lot of sins.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts