DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Im going to clean up the car today and wax it...

got a couple of questions.

Im going to wash it with this stuff....

Then I was going to polish it with this stuff....

then wax it with this stuff......

My problem is this....

I got a crap ton of what appears to be "spots" in my paint....almost looks like when coolant dries on the ground and it leaves those little dirt rings? I've tried washing & waxing before, and they dont go away. I wouldn't say they are water spots, b/c usually those will go away....Do you think the polish will work these out of the paint?? Or.....

Do you think I need to clay bar or should I go straight to Ultimate Compund by Meguiar's to get them off? I also thought about using a Deep System Paint Cleaner by Meguiars....
Clay Bar:

Ultimate Compound:

Deep Crystal System Paint Cleaner:

Im a huge Meguiars fan (as you can tell), but if someone knows of a better product to get rid of these water rings, and has evidence to back up the performance of the product, then I'd shoot for it too....

I also have some regular Cleaner wax by Meguiars....do you think that would work better than the NXT stuff at working out the spots?

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Cleaner waxes really aren't necessary if you're doing all the other steps. You should take care of anything that is in the paint first before waxing. Cleaner wax is useful for when you don't want to have to spend all that time getting into the paint.

The order of steps to get the stuff out of the paint is wash, foam, claybar, polish.

I know he isn't on here, but if you have the time follow Junkman2000's stuff. He is on the other site, but skip that and go straight to his youtube channel. He is a bit longwinded sometimes, but has some great tips and videos.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Cleaner waxes really aren't necessary if you're doing all the other steps. You should take care of anything that is in the paint first before waxing. Cleaner wax is useful for when you don't want to have to spend all that time getting into the paint.

The order of steps to get the stuff out of the paint is wash, foam, claybar, polish.

I know he isn't on here, but if you have the time follow Junkman2000's stuff. He is on the other site, but skip that and go straight to his youtube channel. He is a bit longwinded sometimes, but has some great tips and videos.
Foam?

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Yep. If you have that crap caked into the clear letting it foam helps loosen that stuff up before you hit the next steps. That helps prevent doing more damage while removing the grime thats really on there. Its like the foaming brush at the do it yourself car washes, only you of course don't put a brush to the paint ever.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
Yep. If you have that crap caked into the clear letting it foam helps loosen that stuff up before you hit the next steps. That helps prevent doing more damage while removing the grime thats really on there. Its like the foaming brush at the do it yourself car washes, only you of course don't put a brush to the paint ever.
Ahh...i see what your talking about. I need to get a foam gun so I can do that myself at home.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Ahh...i see what your talking about. I need to get a foam gun so I can do that myself at home.
Same here, I'm going to start looking into a foam gun and good sprayer set up. I've got the PC now along with some actual high quality microfiber (not store bought crap) but I still need a few things to really detail with.

·
Registered
587 Posts
If I have the time I usually; wash, clean/deoxidize, polish, and wax. Always get a mirror shine. And I always use Miguiar's, just wish they still had the three step bottles starting to run out badly.

·
Registered
587 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Will this stuff work on eggs?

My daughter's car was egged (and the windshield hammered) during Halloween week in Philly. Will these products get the dried on egg off of the paint? Some of the spots were just chalky and came right off, but others are thoroughly dried on and I haven't been able to get them off.

·
Registered
8,464 Posts
My daughter's car was egged (and the windshield hammered) during Halloween week in Philly. Will these products get the dried on egg off of the paint? Some of the spots were just chalky and came right off, but others are thoroughly dried on and I haven't been able to get them off.
I would clay bar it first to see if you can get most of the gunk off. After that you might need to buff the hell of out it by hand, but if you have a porter cable that will def. make your job much easier.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im agreeing with Patel on this one.

I would use some MEguiar's Car Wash. Then continue on to their clay bar kit. Make sure to use plenty of the Quick Detailer for lubricant and to work small areas at a time until its completely smooth. That should remove all the egg that has dried and bonded with the paint. Now, should you see rings in the paint still after all of this, then you need to move on to Meguair's Ultimate Compound. This will remove any staining in the paint from the egging that the clay bar cant get to. Let us know if you have to reach that step, and well guide you through it :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts