DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cool site, first time here and glad to find it.

I just inherited my wife's 1998 Intrepid ES. It's the dark charcoal color. Around the windshield, black paint is flaking off and exposing bare metal. My question is, is this something I can re-paint? If so, what kind of paint do I use? It seems to be some kind of textured (rubberized?) paint. Thanks for any assistance.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
those trim strips are really easy to get off. open the door and look at where they screw in.

you could paint them, assuming you have the time to scrape all the remaining paint off, paint them, and put them back on. youll probably spend at least 5 bucks on paint, plus the time to prep the parts, paint, and let dry

or you could go to the junkyard and get some for 10$, which seems to be the going rate. thats how much i got mine for.

fyi, if your going to paint and reuse them, be careful when your taking them off, and dont use them to pry off the plastic plug that snaps in to keep them in place (youll see) because it will bend the trim peices.

i did that, but only because i wasnt reusing them and didnt care.

·
Registered
89 Posts
One thing I've noticed about many first gen Intrepids is that the rear roof tends to chip away (the paint) and rust. Anyone know what the deal is about that? Why is it so common?

·
Registered
5 Posts
1) Tape off the molding
2) Clean with mineral spirits
3) Sand with 320 paper
4) Clean with alcohol
5) Spray 3 even coats of paint

I did this myself cause i was having the exact same issue and posted a process thread over at Autogeek.net. Can't post a link though, not enough posts here lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts