DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have tried to find a thread about painting leather seat but no result...
I would like to get my front seat painted but I have no idea what to do,how to do or what to use?
So I need you help :D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
I honestly don't know if I'd even bother.. I dyed my center console lid a wile back which is vinyl and it started rubbing off with in a few weeks.

·
get off my lawn
15,505 Posts
painting seats,,, maybe a wate of time,, it will wear off over time,, maybe swapping them out for the color your looking for?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The problem is that there the color i want and they are 300m seats, I wont change them since i already got a 300m special for summer that has no crack in the seats they are like new! cant wait to get her out of storage :D
painting seats,,, maybe a wate of time,, it will wear off over time,, maybe swapping them out for the color your looking for?

·
Registered
300 Posts
the best paint for vinyl is the Krylon Fusion that wal-mart carries. I did my entire interior with this stuff and it has not rubbed off yet. I even used it on the vinyl pieces like center console lid and dashboard. as to the seats use some leather dye.

·
Registered
258 Posts
May be a dumb question, but I'm wondering if there is something more like shoe polish that could be used on leather seats. Something like "polish" would be more like the idea of staining rather than painting wood. Paint flakes off, but stain soaks in and doesn't flake off. Anyone ever heard of a colored leather polish?

·
Registered
663 Posts
You could try a product called SEM Coat, I've used it on plastic trim in my
Intrepid and it's the best I've ever used. They do have a product for
leather and vinyl, but I have never used it. But if it's like there paint
for plastic it should work great.
Here is the link to there site SEM Products

You'll need to clean the leather first then use a product called PLASTIC & LEATHER PREP then the color of your choice.
The best part of the whole thing is it comes in most OEM interior colors!
Even for our cars!

·
Registered
917 Posts
FWIW, When i bought my 02 "M" used in 05 the previous owner had some "wrinkles" on the driver's and passenger's seat and used a paint that i believe advanced auto carrie's. say's it's for interior, cant remember the name and it.s still on there good 48k miles later. the only recommendation is that you remove the seat's from the car and wetsand them with 2000 grit paper, LIGHTLY!!!! I recently did the armrest with the stuff and it look's brand new, changed the color from deep slate to black. also you need to apply 2 coats to get a nice even coverage. If i cant find 2 seats soon im going to do mine as well. hope this helped ya...

·
Registered
5 Posts
PPG makes an elastomeric color system.All leather for the most part is dyed,if his has a color other than brown.even then it has been sealed with something.Go to any PPG auto paint supplier and ask for Their elastomeric color.You will also have to get SX1006 Leather adhesion promoter and SX1001 leather prep.Those two products with any color you want will be all you need.It is a superior product.I use it all the time.and you can make any color you want.Sem is also a superb product ,if you can get it in bulk to be sprayed through a gun.Never try too paint a whole seat with a spray can.If you want a factory look spray it through a gun.You could spray this stuff through a cheap gun,if you cannot afford to pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Has anyone tried going from dark to light? Say... dark slate to titanium? I want to do a pro-am look on my slate seats with the middle parts being a silver color to match my dash...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts