DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I went to wash my car... I jetted it down on the fender and the paint started to come off!!!!!!!!! I have now a 3inch square peeled off paint on the drivers side fender..

Is this a Chrysler paint screw up?

Can I get them to re-paint?

Youre input would be appreciatted.

Cheers

Si

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
Well, hmmmm....

That's a tough one. Is the car originally yours? Could it have been in an accident where it was repainted? How long have you had the car?

I have heard of this problem on the early to mid 90's F-150's. Ford recalled them all and stripped them down to bare metal and repainted them. Something like the primer they used was prone to break down or something. I see this on older Shadows alot too.

Try bitching to Chrysler, you never know, they may do something about it if you can prove it was never in an accident.

Good Luck! :)

[ December 18, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepidatious ]

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
hmm, your prob going to have to pay, hopefull its an isolated problem and the whole car does not start peeling.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
wow, i hope i never have that prob w/mine. I had that happen to my '88 Mustang, cept on my crustang it was like a 1 foot circle...

·
Registered
502 Posts
Here's what I know about this shiznit:

I ran across a HUGE thread at some no-name website(who's URL was like 30 words long).

The entire thing was about owners of Chrysler(Dodge,Plymouth) minivans and the new ram trucks. They all had the paint peeling problem and wanted to know how to fix it. Out of, I think, 70 to 80 people on that thread, only about 10 or so took Chrysler to small claims court (or some similar legal action) after arguing with Chrysler about their paint. As it turns out, Chrysler won't dick around with the low-level court system and basically will just give you the money, or designate a body shop, to repaint your car.

However, it does need to be the original paint job as Intrepidatious suggested, and you must be able to prove that the paint was stripped as it originally happened. Sometimes they[Chrysler] will pawn off that you hit the car or caused it.

I'd actually do a search on Google or something for "peeling paint" (or something similar) and see if you can find that thread. It's very interesting and it was entirely about this problem.

To be honest, though, I have never seen any LH-based car with peeled paint. The only case is the C-pillar, but not the actual body. In the meantime, dope some primer on it or touch it up with some other paint to protect that spot (which I'm sure you already thought of, just wanted to throw it out there).

Hope that helped. I know every time i wash my car I meticulously look over my car for problems like this.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey Guys. I did some research because there is a section of my hood that is rusting and losing paint, and I found that Chrysler will fix the paint if your odometer is under
160 000 KM....I forget what that is in miles.

Mine is at about 180 000, but I am still gonna ***** and argue with them about it, and hopefully they will fix it. So if you have this problem, check with your local dealer, and they may take care of it.

·
Dain bramaged
7,212 Posts
hmm.. my car has a little paint on my car, the drivers side under the rear pillar cover its peeling, just about 2 inches.. my car only has 79,000 miles on it.. so i mean.. i hope someone can point me at a document sayin chrysler will repaint under a certain milage..

·
Registered
587 Posts
Not sure if there is a document, but the parts guy I called at Chrysler said it was under warranty. I suggest you call the parts dept., the service manager, or ask the service secretery about it.

Hope that helps...

Happy New Year Everyone!!!
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts