DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:
The gaskets under my wing are bad. The dealer is going to have to give me a whole new wing because the gaskets and wing are serviced together. It doesn't come painted so their local paint shop is going to have to paint it to match my Inferno Red tinted pearlcoat.

Since they will already be matching up paint for the wing, I might as well have them paint the reflector while they are at it.

Three questions for you all :

1) How much should I expect to pay ?
2) What design should I use over the 3rd brake light ?
3) What other little tidbits could I get painted while the paint is mixed up ?

I have to go to Charlotte from tommorrow until Friday so I may not be able to respond back until then. Smart ass comments are welcomed!!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
You can look at my gallery if you're stuck for ideas.........might want to leave a slim bar all the way across and then do an LED bar, I shoulda done it that way :(

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
An LED bar, you mean like those on Caddys? I like the look of yours, I just saw the 3rd brake light for the first time today. I have always thought that as long as you make the break in the paint for the break light rounded then it will look just fine.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Yeah like those on say something like an older Cadillac STS.......a thin LED bar all the way across.......I wish I had done it like that :(

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
do SXT

just get the sticker S.X.T. put em on there..paint it..then peel them off...would look cool

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Putting LED's all the way across would be quite the mod. You would need to tear the bar apart, but I think that the end result would be great. Do you think that you could ust the stock wiring for this? Now you got my wheels turning!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
sinastis did this mod a while back i search thru for the thread he had up for it but it looks like he removed all info about it. He used like 50 LED, resistors and used the stock wiring to light it up. Here is pic:

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Quite a few people did the lighted rear reflector bar mod. I was going to do the thin strip with leds accross, but decided that leds aren't bright enough for my tails, and came up with a similar but more unique idea. When I get my computer back (dad took it to france) I'll post my photoshop of what ill be doing to my tails.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Imadreadhead said:
do SXT

just get the sticker S.X.T. put em on there..paint it..then peel them off...would look cool
That is an excellent idea Cobie - pos rep for you

And Keith, I could put my 1/8 mile ET, but only 340 Duster would know what it means or care.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
qp_20 said:
Well I guess it might be searchy time!
Here! I'll help! :biggrin: Here's a link to my LED Reflector Bar. They look much better than what a camera can show. I also replaced the regular brake/park lights with LED 3157's. The reflector bar is a much nicer "RED" than the tail lights for some reason. The tails look a bit orange with the standard bulbs, but the LED's help that a bit. Silver&Gold is now the owner of this particular reflector bar...I'm going to start working on another idea here soon...I hope...

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
In2Deep, I know we originally had the same goal with the reflector bar so I'll share what I've found with you. Its been my plan for a while to put INTREPID accross the reflector bar with a led bar lighting it, but as I said I'm going with bulbs, but not just for the brightness factor. If you take the R and E and place them over the two brake light bulbs in the center of the bar and use the spacing between those two letters for the spacing between all of the letters, they pretty evenly span the whole bar (I'll have the black painted area going accross all but maybe an inch of the bar) and every single bulb ends up placed so that it doesn't interfere with the mounting posts. Now making "sockets" for the other six letters is going to be slightly challenging, but I've got some ideas.

Before I decided to go the bulb route, I had some ideas of doing the full closely spaced led reflector bar more similar to whats in caddies. I think the best way to do it would be to actually cut out the back of the reflector bar (the whole area you'll have leds) and then you can mount the leds as much as you want wherever you want from inside the bar. Then you could go the permanent route and glue it back together using some plastic "welding" type glue or "heat weld" it back together using plastic to remelt the pieces back together. If you were looking to be able to remove it and make changes or replace leds I would think that you could mount some type of latches that would hold the led section tightly to the rest of the bar.

Another way you could do it would be to cut out that bar like I mentioned, but not where the posts are and just slip in through the space you opened whatever you have mounted your leds to. That would be the most structurally sound option.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
In2Deep said:
Here! I'll help! :biggrin: Here's a link to my LED Reflector Bar. They look much better than what a camera can show. I also replaced the regular brake/park lights with LED 3157's. The reflector bar is a much nicer "RED" than the tail lights for some reason. The tails look a bit orange with the standard bulbs, but the LED's help that a bit. Silver&Gold is now the owner of this particular reflector bar...I'm going to start working on another idea here soon...I hope...
I will shoot ya a pm so that I don't continue to hijack here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts