DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some left over paint that I used for my tail lights. My question is could I use the rest of it on my side mirrors? How would I go about prepping the surface? Would the paint even stick and not flake off. The paint is in spray can form and was mixed and color matched at an automotive paint company.

Thanks in advance!!:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
You would want to sand the surface with some light sandpaper. Make sure you have all the wax and bugs off before you start. I always clean my plastics with rubbing alcohol to get it all clean. After sanding use a tack cloth and get all the sanding residue off. Then spray it with a primer, then the color coat. THat's the way i did all my interior pieces, haven't had any troubles yet.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RCE2WIN, thanks for the tip!

01IntrepidES I got the paint at an automotive paint store in Milwaukee. You provide them with the color code and they can mix up however much you need and they can put it in almost anything. The paint was a 99.999% match!!! The company is called "Allis Supply" Here is the web site. I'm assuming that you could order from them. www.match-it.net
A 12 oz. spray can ran me around $12.00

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I had heard that I might need special plastic primer. So it keeps the paint from cracking and flaking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts