DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I know there are a lot of people who paint their trim.

I was wondering how most of you do it, I'm wanting to do mine navy blue. But I need to know what the best way of going about this is. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
What pieces are looking to paint?

Step 1 start by cleaning the parts completely then lightly scuff them with a scotch bright pad clean them once more and let them dry.

Step 2 apply 3 light coats of adhesion promoter following the manufactures directions.

Step 3 apply your color in 2 light coats followed by 1 wet coat but don't go to heavy or you will get runs let dry preferably using ah heat source to cure the paint but you can let them air dry.

Step 4 once completely dry wipe them down with a lint free towel.

Step 5 apply your clear coat once again using the directions on the can and let dry.

Step 6 polish with your choice of compound and you should be good to go.

Some trim parts of the interior are textured so you may have to adjust how many coats you use to keep the textured affect.

Wet sanding may be required between coats depending on how the paint lays down to remove imperfections.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, I'm gonna give it a try. The parts I'm going to do are like others do. The trim with the vents, and on the doors, etc. It's gonna be navy blue, so it will be a subtle differenc from the gray. I also wanna try to get the B and C pillars the same color as the A pillars since I'm gonna get a dark grey or black headliner. What color would make them match closely?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I painted a broken vent and it didn't pop too much. I'll take a picture of it next to everything else.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Notice it's not that much different. I didn't know if the method I went about painting it was the best that's why I made this thread.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I did my entire interior using krylon fusion in gloss black. Plastic and vinyl pieces. It came out pretty good but I'm going to gut a parts car and do it properly sine I am not happy with what I did the first time around.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm still debating on it. I have the paint, but I'm really not sure if I'm gonna do it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well if I do it, it'll be navy blue, but I'm not sure, may just go with a gloss dark gray, or flat black. The main reason I wanna do it is because my trim has scratch marks on it, and damn near every one at the yard does too.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you have the time sand all your trim pieces, start with like 800 grit n work your way to 2000 grit, you will have nice smooth pieces that have a professional looking finish. I plan on looking for a spare set of trim pieces for my "M" so I can do the same. As of now i have pretty much an all black int, as you can see in my you can see in my sig page... goodluck..

·
Garfield Rules
9,144 Posts
there is a member here who has there trim painted blue and I have seen it in person and it is not all that subtle. I did mine in a gunmetal color I have pics in my sig page.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it's not really that big of a contrast from the peice I already painted. LOL But I'm thinking about doing the vision dash and door panels. So I'm putting this on hold

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
What ever you do, use clear coat. Even if you want a matte finish just get some matte finish clear. If you do that and you wetsand well you can make even rattle can painting look pretty good. To do it totally right you should use a paint sprayer, but that is well beyond the expense of most people for little projects like this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts