DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think?

some of you may remember my hunt to figure out what the annoying popping was. It would happen only from stop to 30mph or so and under half decent acceleration, it would be a VERY loud POP like sound and would continue if you stayed on it... so being no n00b to fixing cars I've attempted a few things, but nothing looked strange and eventually I ended up taking it to a shop... they *think* it's the passender side driveaxle (not the cv-shaft) as according to them it's is very loose inside the transmission.

makes sense?

I'm 99.9% sure of "no", but any way of getting to it relatively easily without having to pull the entire motor/tranny out? (still a possibility btw, I've swapped many motors before and wouldn't mind doing it if I HAD to...).

a nice detailed transmission diagram would help as this is my first FWD car and I'm not sure how the axle is exactly held in place.

thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot to include the year...

1995 Intrepid ES, I'd really appreciate it if you could send me those diagrams to [email protected]

and while I thought the same thing at first, I have personally changed both CV half shafts (it's the whole assembly from transmission to the wheel, already preassembled for you and much easier to change than just a CV joint), they were brand new units, I put them in myself and the problem didn't change one bit. :(

·
9,861 Posts
If you've changed them out before, why do you need diagrams? What exact diagrams do you need?

It was doing this noise before and after the halfshaft replacement?

Really, it's pretty hard for the halfshafts to be loose enough to be noisey. They are setup so they are being clamped inbetween the transmission and the hub, by the front suspension. That is why it doesn't need to be bolted to the transmission. For them to be loose enough to make a noise would require very damaged CV joints.

Ignore what the shop said. Look at the suspension.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you are misunderstanding me or maybe I'm not being clear enough.

think of this as a little diagram

Wheel hub - halfshaft - axle - transmission - axle - halfshaft - Wheel Hub

according to them the AXLE is loose within the transmission. The halfshafts connect to the axle (that sticks out of the tranny) and go to wheel hubs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
btw the noise was the same before or after I replaced both halfshafts. Something else is making that noise.

·
9,861 Posts
By axle, do you mean the shaft inside the transmission itself?

Drive axle usually refers to the halfshaft itself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's true, I wasn't being totally clear.

Yes the shaft that is inside the transmission seems to be the problem. Hence why I needed the diagram to see how it is held in place within the transmission and if ripping the engine/transmission out is an option and worth doing with the intention of rebuilding the transmission myself or replacing it if I had to.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem...Did you ever figure out what the noise was. I have a 2002 dodge love car making the same noise after I replaced the half shaft c.f. joint and the wheel bearing. I had the whole front end in the air on jack stands and I started up and took those CV joint off and the wheel bearing the stud turn with no noise I put everything back on brand new and the noise came back. I agree it must be from the stud male end of the shaft that sticks into the the female end of the CV joint half shaft. My issue is with the driver side male stud that comes out of the transmission seems as though the noise is coming from that particular area any clue what that noise is anybody figure it out?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts