DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2000 Concorde LXI with the factory sound system (not Infinity), and the right door speaker is not working. I tried replacing the radio and the speaker but did not fix the problem.

I called stereo repair shop and technician said the problem is likely either a bad amplifier (part# P04760296AC) or a bad wire connection.

According to the wiring diagram, the two wires on the back of the radio that connect to the right speaker is a purple and a blue with red stripe, and I cut/stripped the 2 wires and ran a speaker wire from radio to the speaker and it worked.

The problem is running a wire from the door speaker through the door jamb in order to connect it to the radio.

I can get the speaker wire to the rubber house in the door jamb, but running it through the rubber hose is not an option because on the end where connects to car there is a white pin connector and no place to insert a wire. However, there is a rubber grommet close to the rubber hose in the door jamb that's the size of a quarter but could not find a path into the car for the wire after removing the grommet. One option would be to remove the amplifier and see if there's a path behind it. However, I'm not able to remove the amplifier because the upper screw is partially behind the amplifier so no way to get a socket on it.

The FSM doesn't explain how to access the upper screw. Anyone know how to remove the upper screw and/or suggestions for location to run speaker wire from door through door jamb?

If I can get the amp removed, I'll try connecting another amp to it first before doing the speaker wire bypass method.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,431 Posts
MIDLINE/INFINITY l SYSTEM
(1) Disconnect and isolate the negative battery
cable.
(2) Remove right under panel silencer/duct.
(3) Remove mounting fastener to remote amplifier
(Fig. 1).
(4) Pull amplifier inboard and then pull downward
to remove from upper retaining clips.
(5) Disconnect two wiring connectors.
(6) Remove remote amplifier from vehicle.

You just need to remove the lower screw/bolt/nut and tilt the lower part of the amp in towards the interior of the car and pull down on the amp to remove it. The top of the amp is retained by a bracket it seats inside. No need to remove the upper bracket to pull the amp out.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,431 Posts
No Problemo.

Did you check for continuity in the wiring between the radio and amp and the amp to the door speaker? If you have a multimeter check the ohms/resistance of those connections. SHould be close to Zero.

Violet/Dark Blue-Red Stripe are correct for the radio to amp wiring. From the Amp to Speaker is Light Blue/Red Stripe and Light Blue/Black Stripe. I'm assuming by your description that both Upper and Lower right door speakers don't work? The Midline system has a small speaker up by the door mirror.

Could be a broken wire inside the rubber boot where it enters the door from the body.

·
Registered
718 Posts
wires usually break in the accordian rubber that wires run through.
probably easier to find the break.
or you may find enough remaining wire to tap a replacement wire into to get signal to the speaker.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In order for me to inspect the rubber in the door jamb with the wires, I'd have to cut the rubber the entire length. After doing that, best to tape back with electrical tape, or seal with other method?

·
Woober Goobers!
51,431 Posts
The rubber accordion boot is pressed onto the connectors at both ends. You can just pull it away from the door connector and/or the body frame connection. Just pull on it. Getting it back on is a PITA due to the limited space.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,431 Posts
Here's a picture of the wiring harnesses that are inside the doors. You can see the rubber boot pulled back from the door side and the connector at the body frame.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,431 Posts
It's also possible that if there is a wire break it won't be visible and is under the wire insulation. That's why I suggested the continuity check to avoid unnecessary work. If you have continuity between the radio and amp and amp and speaker then it's the amp that's bad.

Midline amps are cheap. I probably have one in storage. Have you verified the part number that's on the amp in your car?

·
Woober Goobers!
51,431 Posts
Here's the relevant FSM pages for the audio wiring for your issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
718 Posts
In order for me to inspect the rubber in the door jamb with the wires, I'd have to cut the rubber the entire length. After doing that, best to tape back with electrical tape, or seal with other method?
i've done it before on others.
the accordion slips off the plug end and can be pulled back and slid around.
takes a bit of work.
splitting is a last try thing if you can't get the rubber out of the way.
you can wrap some black tape around in a few spots to squeeze it back together.
just tight enough to hold it closed, or maybe some goop might work to hold the split together.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,431 Posts
Gnarly !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts