DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Learn something everyday!
Our resident geek turned me on to this software that searches out and destroys sneaky exe. files that come from pop-up ads, websites that data mine,programs that can be running without you knowing about them and are REAL hard to find...
"Ad-aware 6.0" is freeware-reputable company- and can be found at http://www.lavasoftusa.com
Look for 'Ad-aware' on the left 'software' category (Ad-aware +
is not free).
From that page you choose 'download' on the left bar which
takes you to a new page.
Select 'full install' from one of the support sites (I used Majorgeeks.co.
After instal, Tis program found 87!! hidden programs,
quarrantined them and deleted them .
BIG POWER BOOST!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
JoeKD said:
I still prefer Spybot search and destroy myself
Just out of curiousity Joe, which features are better in Spybot than in Ad-Aware in your opinion? Is there a freeware version of Spybot?

I'm another long-time A-A user but I'm always looking for a better mousetrap..

Thanks,
~Xile

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I have never used Adaware but I use spybot all of the time and I love that program.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've used both Ad Aware and Spybot S&D. Each program catches stuff that the other doesn't.

What I like about Spybot is that it has a lot of ways of "innoculating" your system so that stuff can't get on there in the first place (automatically blocks tracking cookies, etc.), and it can lock your IE settings so your browser doesn't get hijacked. It'll also help you edit your registry to remove possible changes made by spyware and hijackers.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Dont forget **Spyware Blaster** ...while Spybot and Adaware removes spyware/malicious/annoying programs, spyware blaster prevents it from being installed althogether. (Spybot has a link to spyware blaster through their software)

Snipit:
#1) What does SpywareBlaster do?

-Unlike other programs, SpywareBlaster doesn't scan for and clean spyware. Instead, SpywareBlaster provides protection against spyware ever installing and can also prevent spyware from running if it is already installed on your machine! SpywareBlaster can also protect against spyware/tracking cookies (this cookie protection function requires Internet Explorer 6 or above - the spyware protection mechanism even works on Windows machines without Internet Explorer).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts