DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2001 Intrepid de 2.7L V6 is throwing a check engine light for the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) code P0601. Because of the light I failed the state inspection. Would anyone know a fix? Or do I have to get a new/used PCM?

·
Premium Member
17,791 Posts
If you clear the code, does it come back immediately, or does it take a couple of days?

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
Replace the PCM. No other way around the CEL.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
Good and Cheap don't really go together!

You have a 2001 Intrepid SE correct? Your initial post says "de".

Now for the important part that may help you save some money.

Do you have factory alarm?
What color is the plastic on your ignition key? Black or Gray?

If you don't have Factory Alarm and your Ignition key has Black plastic then that saves you the programming hassles and added prices.

The bad news now is that 2001 was a transition year between PCM "ECU whatever). And guess what? you need to stick to that particular year for a replacement. Bummer.

More good news is that there wasn't a Federal and Kalifornia Emissions PCM in 2001. It's the same PCM for all 50 states.

What's the Part number on your PCM?

It's either going to be:

04896146AB
04896925AB

The PCM and TCM are located behind the drivers side headlight under the cruise control vacuum servo. TCM closest to the headlight and PCM behind it.
See image below.

The part number will be on a sticker on the PCM itself. It'll also have a "P" in front of the number.

After you get the part number buy one from Ebay or www.car-part.com used and it should be plug-n-play.

If you have Factory Alarm and Security you're fooked. However most SE models didn't have that.

·
Woober Goobers!
51,468 Posts
And the two letters at the end of the PCM part number aren't that important. For instance if your original PCM ends with an AB you could install a PCM that ends in AD, AF, AG or AA, etc,

PCM-Powertrain Control Module. aka ECU, Engine Computer, etc.

Reactions: peva
1 - 8 of 8 Posts