DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if the pcm is bad will that cause the car to jerk and run the battery down my car wont start jumped it last week, but checked this morning nothing

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,763 Posts
Not likely.

Have you checked your alternator, battery, and connections? It is more likely one of those. Is there any trouble codes?

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
A bad starter that pulls way too much current will also kill things. A drained battery can't be charged in 'round town driving.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Actually, that was exactly the problem with my car. The battery was constantly draining, sometimes recharging, sometimes over-charging. Several times the car would jerk like crazy for a few minutes, then die as soon as I slowed down. It was not the battery, alternator, starter or anything. I switched out the PCM and everything worked beautifully. I have a 1st gen, so it may be different for you. But, I picked up a PCM for 15 bucks, so if you have the chance, it is worth a try before you move on to more expensive/difficult things.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,763 Posts
Theres a big difference between 1st gen and 2nd gen PCMS. It possible that the PCM could be at fault, but unlikely. Unlike 1st gen, 2nd gen PCMS are not interchangeable, so he would have to get a new one - $300-$500.

·
Registered
300 Posts
That's good to know. But why are they not interchangable? Is every single one unique or what?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,763 Posts
^They are programmed vin specific. The reason is the body control module. Basically the PCM programming and security keys have to match the BCM. The same PCM will run all 3 engines in the 2gen, but wont work with any other BCM except for its original one.

You can find a pcm from a 2.7 base intrepid with no security system or options and swap them, but it is hit or miss whether your car will start when you install it. You also run the risk of corrupting the security keys in the BCM by installing a PCM with different ones. Then your screwed.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
32Intrepid said:
^They are programmed vin specific. The reason is the body control module. Basically the PCM programming and security keys have to match the BCM. The same PCM will run all 3 engines in the 2gen, but wont work with any other BCM except for its original one.

Not completely true. The PCM needs to recognize the RKE only. As long as the RKE & PCM are mated, you can use any BCM you please. I have a different one in my car right now, from a Special so as to have the correct tire size for the 245 tires. You just need to be sure to keep the original RKE module in the car.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Torontofirecaptain said:
Not completely true. The PCM needs to recognize the RKE only. As long as the RKE & PCM are mated, you can use any BCM you please. I have a different one in my car right now, from a Special so as to have the correct tire size for the 245 tires. You just need to be sure to keep the original RKE module in the car.

RKE module? I thought it needed the same SKIM module.

It was my understanding that if you have a mating PCM and SKIM module + the correct keys and locks (obviously!) that it would work.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
hardwareguy said:
RKE module? I thought it needed the same SKIM module.

It was my understanding that if you have a mating PCM and SKIM module + the correct keys and locks (obviously!) that it would work.
Sorry, my mistake - you are right - SKIM, not RKE, but the BCM/PCM relation doesn't matter. The only issue will be a misatch of the mileage as it is stored in both the PCM & BCM. The cluster will register the BCM mileage; the dealer can access the "actual" mileage via the DRBIII tool, so you can't cheat them.
Again apologize for citing the wrong module.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
That answers ALL my questions!

Sweet! So I dont need to get the odometer reprogrammed!

So the recepie for a fast Intrepid ES is PCM + Plemum + SKIM module + transfer gears....... dragstrip not included :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
got a new battery and connectors car cut off got a jump start on the way home car started to jerk but quit now it wont even turn over post not dirty plus i also have a bad headlight switch or turn sigal switch can this do something

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,763 Posts
Torontofirecaptain said:
Sorry, my mistake - you are right - SKIM, not RKE, but the BCM/PCM relation doesn't matter. The only issue will be a misatch of the mileage as it is stored in both the PCM & BCM. The cluster will register the BCM mileage; the dealer can access the "actual" mileage via the DRBIII tool, so you can't cheat them.
Again apologize for citing the wrong module.

Well you learn something everyday. Its the SKIM that must match everything else. I was under the impression that this was all contained in the BCM and the SKIM was not a separate module.

Skims dont match, you get a no-start.

How can it be determined which ecm has skim or not then?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
battery new i got a bad headlight switch or turn signal switch car jerked upshifted and down shifted now is this the pcm

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,763 Posts
stones said:
battery new i got a bad headlight switch or turn signal switch car jerked upshifted and down shifted now is this the pcm

Still cant say for sure. Bad turn signal/headlight switch does not have anything to do with the PCM. Hard to say on the transmission problems.

Have you had the alternator checked yet? You say the battery keeps running down, even though its new-- and you have to keep getting jumps. That should tell you something is not charging the battery. Low voltage will cause many other things to malfunction.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no, only got one jump start after i got the jump start on the way home car jerked went on vacation i got back last night so this morning i went to crank it up nothing happened

·
Woober Goobers!
50,476 Posts
Might want to get the actual Diagnostic Trouble Codes read (DTC). Do key dance and get the odometer readout. I suspect you'll get the dreaded "P0700" code which requires further help. You're funky upshift/downshift sounds like the transmission is going into "Limp" mode. All is not lost as it might be something as simple/inexpensive as a transmission input/output sensor. Advance Auto and other places can read those codes for free.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts