DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today,when I was driving to get new front tires for my car, the trep started to idle wierd. I came to a stop at an intersection and she was idling at 1,000 RPM and felt like she wanted to take off. So I turned off the AC, put it in neutral, and it slowly went down to 500ish RPM. It did that a few times, then when I went to start it, it started and seemed like iut was barely running, so I gave it some gas and it idled at 500RPM. I pulled off the TPS and AIS and I cleaned them with some air intake cleaner, they are sitting out and drying.

No codes.

On the plus side, all my front end vibration, poor hadling and noise went away with the new tires! My inner tie rod busings are due for replacement down the road, I still have the oh soo common cocked Intrepid steering wheel. The car is straight as an arrow going down the interstate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
If anything since it was idling issues, I'd point right to the IAC not the TPS. How'd they look when you took them out and cleaned them? Also make sure you clean the port for the IAC. If that's crudy it'll give you issues. Your issues sound like the IAC might have been sticking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the IAC wasn't that bad looking. I had cleaned it when I first got the car back in feb becasue I was having idling issues. Maybe it's on its way out too? I'll probabily grab a few from the junkyard. I have an extra TPS from a 1992 3.8 New Yorker I'll put in there, same part number.
 

·
Dain bramaged
Joined
·
7,213 Posts
mine doesn't whisle.. mine has more of a sucking noise.. its insanely noticable with the civic intake on it.. its from the hard edge of the IAC port.. I'll fix it one day, but I just put up with it.. *this pc has no sound, so i'm only guessin at the noise, but i'm sure that this is it*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,388 Posts
My 2.7 whistles when I rev it up. I can hear it in the intake when I'm under the hood and its loud enough to hear it in the car with the radio off. Kinda strange.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Veeb0rg said:
mine doesn't whisle.. mine has more of a sucking noise.. its insanely noticable with the civic intake on it.. its from the hard edge of the IAC port.. I'll fix it one day, but I just put up with it.. *this pc has no sound, so i'm only guessin at the noise, but i'm sure that this is it*

Thats where it's coming from. My air cleaner tube wasn't on all the way, so I fixed it and it's less noticeable. I also sprayed some air intake cleaner inside the throttle body and down that port. Lots of brown gunk came out.
 

·
Dain bramaged
Joined
·
7,213 Posts
Matt86 said:
Thats where it's coming from. My air cleaner tube wasn't on all the way, so I fixed it and it's less noticeable. I also sprayed some air intake cleaner inside the throttle body and down that port. Lots of brown gunk came out.

yeah it should be fixable by breaking out the dremel and rounding the edge over.. *at least thats what I'm gonna try*
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ever since I cleaned it up, the car starts, runs and idles fine. I'll pick a few up at the junkyard tomorow as spares.

Next projects:

Fuel sending unit
Inner tie rod bushings (may have someone do it for me)
 

·
Dain bramaged
Joined
·
7,213 Posts
Matt86 said:
ever since I cleaned it up, the car starts, runs and idles fine. I'll pick a few up at the junkyard tomorow as spares.

Next projects:

Fuel sending unit
Inner tie rod bushings (may have someone do it for me)
eh.. the inners are easy for us 3.3l guys.

even easier if you wanna remove the intake..

takes like 10-15 minutes *both of mine fell out, one was more then 1/2 missing*
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top