DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
im an amd fan boy, but from what ive read about the new core duos, if we are talking about the 4mb conroes, then a pentium 4 is a joke compared to them. :ugh2:

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I'm an AMD fan boy as well.........but let me tell you, from what I've been hearing about the Core 2 Duo's.......they would obliterate a P4 (and the AMD's I own).

Skip the Core Duo and get a Core 2 Duo.

·
Registered
348 Posts
95Intrepisize said:
Currently I have a 2.93 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4.
What would be the point in choosing a 1.60 gigahertz Intel Core Duo ?

Maybe gigahertz, the lower the better? I don't know.

That 1.6ghz Conroe will keep right up to or even rape that P4.

P4's were designed to do as little as possible per clock in hopes of scaling to 5+ghz, it didnt work, thats why slower AMD's could keep right up to them.

Intel finally realised GHZ isnt everything...... :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ exactly what he said, the Conroes are much more efficient cpu's and just the fact that they are Dual core cpus as opposed to single core cpus, pretty much everything is better aside for the clock speed, whic realy does not play that much as an imprtant role in cpus anymore

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
The slowest Core 2 Duo would walk all over your P4, there's no question about it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
D76G12 said:
Dual core really doesn't help much for a single app - but for multi-threading (or the few apps written to use dual cores) there's nothing better ... :)
multitasking, i dunno about you guys but i tend to do more than one thing at a time, and yes, i can see a difference in a single core and dual core, and it is future ready, i am willing to buy a new cpu a few times a year but i know some people only lik eto every few years, no point in getting a single core cpu now IMO

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
ximkolo said:
multitasking, i dunno about you guys but i tend to do more than one thing at a time, and yes, i can see a difference in a single core and dual core, and it is future ready, i am willing to buy a new cpu a few times a year but i know some people only lik eto every few years, no point in getting a single core cpu now IMO
Yeah - I tried to mix different ideas. A single program is not multi-tasking when it uses both cores. But I certainly multi-task when I run SETI, Explorer, Eudora, and Movie Studio ... :D

·
Registered
795 Posts
Am I stupid for buying an Intel 805 D dual core? I'd like a conroe also but for $100 or so the 805 D is an excelent value right now. They can also be overclocked like crazy if your into that.

This will do untill the faster conroes come down in price... or untill AMD's new tech comes out, hopefully starting a price war :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i personally feel, which i know some may disagree, but i would either get the conroe, nothing less than a 6600, and use that for as long as i could, or get the intel 805d or the amd 3800+ x2 and just wait for the new stuff from amd to come out or whatever happens next year, plus i heard talk of iintel quad cores later this year

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It won't be too long before the Conroe-L comes out, which will replace current Prescott and Cedar Mill Celerons. It will be single-core, have 2MB of L2 cache, and be dirt cheap. I don't know if it will still be called a Celeron.. but another likely candidate for the name would be Core 2 Solo.

There's also the E4200 at the very low end of the Core 2 Duo line.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts