DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had the intrepid since 1995 when i got it. It has a stock 3.3L engine with over 100k miles on it. What kind of engine mods should i get for it? I would like some info on a good camshaft kit. Any help would be apreciated.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hello! Check out some of the posts about air intakes, rims, interior painting, etc. Also, be sure to check out the Show Off section for pictures of what people have done. You can see mine with my 3.3 intake pipe

Most of the others here some to be running the 3.5's. Hope that's a start!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
3.3 here too....thats a nice lookin intake....could you give me a specific list of parts and price? Here's my underhood shot. Pretty plain. That intake would like nice inder there ;)

sorry bout the shadow of me but the gas-charged hood supports are worn out and i had to hold the hood up...lol

[ November 08, 2001: Message edited by: pimped3point3 ]

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
pimped, that's nice work with the intake manifold paint.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
BigShow, here is my 3.3 Engine bay, not as good as the other guys, but she does the trick ;)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Si, your shtuff ain't working.

Anywho, as far as my short-ram pipe goes, you can order a similar product from JEGS or possibly Summit. They'll describe it as a "Short-Ram Air Intake". some call it a short ram CAI (which is false).

I don't have a part number for it, though, as I didn't originally purchase this. I got it from a former member here who used it on his 3.3 but totalled his car, so I bought it from him. Cost for it new is around $70-80. It was also purchased local so I don't know who made it. But I can tell you it works on the DeSol engines, and the 93-95 civics I believe. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
261 Posts
hehe, well, there are differences in the 3.5 to the 3.3 that make it so we dont have quite the same options. Personally, I have dropped this thing an inch, and did the struts at the same time. This helped a ton! If you are talking about under the hood strictly, well there just isnt much avail.
You can do exaust mods, dunno where your from, so I cant say how radical you can get.
Also, I am working on copiying another members idea for air intake. Move the pcm and evap canister out of the way/forward [u have to take the sheet that the air box mounts to off, and remount stuff, just look here94intrepidES's Post
then, you can put a cone filter from K&N down there to draw cool air from under the car. You can figure out what to do about piping, one idea is to go to a muffler shop and have them bend you a 3" pipe to the right specs, and then just support it somehow.
thats about all i can think of for performance except normal stuff like plugs,wires, filters, make sure everythings tuned up... etc.
hope that helps.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Then I will ask this question. Hopefully I will not ruffle any feathers, but if the 3.3 has 160hp ( STOCK ) and the 3.5 has 214hp, isn't the 3.5 WAY faster (no modifications) than a 3.3 with all of these intakes, mufflers, etc???? That is a 54hp difference. ;) :D

·
Registered
415 Posts
I thought the 3.3's had 201 HP? Maybe the computer screen I read at autozone was wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The parts that i was thinking of for my engine are Manifolds, camshafts, an engine rebuild kit, ring and pinion, cylinder heads, headers, and throttle bodies. I already know what kind of exhaust and air filter i will get, and i dont want any rims or new suspenion. Some body please tell me if i can even get these parts for my intrepid and if i can where i could get one, the brand name, and the price. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Here is your answers to an extent:

Intrepid = no aftermarket

So your desire for heads, cams, valves, cranks, pistons etc performance wise are all extinct the only ones you'll find are the OEM replacements. Eventually after college I'm going to yank the tranny and engine. Get together with all my buddies and just have custom stuff built to see what we can get out of it.

Autozone = crackheads

For 3.3 power ratings, 93 was 153 hp, 94 to 97 was 161 hp. I'll quote Chrysler in what they said in 94 for their reason in power increase "The Intrepid standard 3.3-liter engine features a revised cylinder head and camshaft which results in an eight horsepower and four pound-feet of torque improvement."

Your question is the 3.5 much faster than the 3.3 the answer is yes. Usually a 3.5 1st gen will beat a 3.3 first gen (both being stock of course) anywhere from .5 to .8 in the 1/4 for a good average. People state anywhere from 16.3 to 16.7 for a stock 3.5. And they state 17.2 to 17.3 or higher for a 3.3.

As you can see I've done the cold air intake, MSD, wires, plugs, and "tuning" hehe. Also I have these but I haven't really told no one till now.

Throttle Body Spacers

I'm sure you have seen these in other catalogs such as summit racing for sure. They have them for a bunch of cars. They act like carb spacers and they help "swirl" basically increase air velocity. Some companies who make them make huge claims like 20 hp and others like 8 hp max. I would say they are worth 5 hp tops on my car since its tons of air in the first place. I haven't finished the intake yet. I have an AEM bypass air valve inline in case i drive through a pond for some dumb reason. I put it on for just peace of mind even though I'm not worried about water getting in it. I haven't done the scoop yet cause I need to get an Xstream K&N filter to set that up.

You CAN do the MSD system on the 3.3 if you want. Heck you can do anything if you work hard enough. Well just thought I post some info on the topic. Others who talk to me often have asked for my advice and usually end up being happy with what I tell them to buy or do. Feel free to IM me if you want or email me.

[ November 09, 2001: Message edited by: 94IntrepidES ]

·
Registered
436 Posts
ALRIGHT 94! Where did you find throttle body spacers that bolt on to the 3.5? How much? Damn your a mechanical sun of a *****! ;)

·
Registered
530 Posts
My buddy 95-TREP-ES who I met when his car was on ebay helped me with this. His father buys parts for advance auto and poweraid who makes these doesn't even list them for sale. His dad had already placed them on his 95 3.5 so I got them too. Come with all the hardware, gaskets, plates, and extensions for the throttle and cruise control linkage. I paid 85 with shipping and I have noticed they aren't bad at all especially high rpms where it would help any at all. Haven't had a chance to drive home yet with them to see if it changes mileage at all. Yeah I don't just work on Intrepids but seems like I work on everyone else's car but mine all the time!!! In fact I was working on a T5 for my friend's 89 5.0 last night on a balcony. I tried to contact you by email mopar4u but you never responded. Was trying to see if you wanted more info on the MSD DIS-4.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Where in Virginia are you? I currently am at college, Virginia Tech in blacksburg, va, but live in hampton, va.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
did you notice a nice diff with the spacers? can he make more?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
hey ATF, would the intake for a 96-whenever civic work? just wondering cuz advance auto parts has one in stock.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Well as I said before....I haven't had much time to test them as I would like. The plates act like carb spacers on carb cars. Those you can do wood, aluminum, etc and they allow more velocity and fuel flow cause of higher elevation. Just like a high rise manifold its the same idea. It works the same for the TB even though its horizontal. Since its doing the "swirl" at the last second it does it more efficiently. There are tons of companies that build these things now the plates that is for cars. Many people have dynoed 20 hp with them which to me is crazy gain and others around 4 to 8 hp. I haven't had much time to test for fuel mileage gain, i will next weekend. I have noticed they do seem to help on the high end some, nothing crazy, my guess they are worth 5 hp on these cars since they flow air pretty good already, well at least on my car. My buddy had them first and they really noticed a difference they said since he is pretty bone stock.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts