DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriends 1994 Intrepid has a strange starting problem that comes and goes. It will be fine all week until every once in a while the car just wont turn over. The engine turns but no fire. After she waits about half an hour it starts just fine and will be good for several days.

Are there any known problems like this with this line of car?

It has a V6, automatic.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure exactly which engine it is (V6 I know that). Yes it is about a 30 min wait. Trying to start it sooner only results in engine turning but not firing.

·
Registered
604 Posts
bitartrate said:
My girlfriends 1994 Intrepid....

It has a V6, automatic.

oh yeah? i wouldn't of guessed that. lol :tongue: ;)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm not sure exactly which engine it is (V6 I know that).
Open hood, look at motor, IMPORTANT, read what it says either 3.3L or 3.5L

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sounds like a starter problem. Might need to get a new starter, does this happen after it has run awhile, or cold start.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I disagree with it being a starter motor problem as he states the engine turns over. Pull a plug wire when it happens and see if you have spark. Just insert a spark plug on the wire and make sure it is touching bare metal somewhere, like the engine block, and turn it over while watching the plug for a spark. That wil narrow it down to an intermittant electrical problem vs a fuel problem. An alternate to a spark plug is to use an old screwdriver inserted into the wire, and have the other end of the screwdriver close, but not touching a bare metal ground.
Caution, do not consider something like your altenator or a sensor as a suitable ground!!!

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I just thought of something with the above, 1st Gen's have spark plug wires, don't they?? Just happened to think, my 2nd Gen doesn't!

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
timdawg said:
Sounds like a starter problem. Might need to get a new starter, does this happen after it has run awhile, or cold start.
Um...if the motor turns over, it can't be a starter problem. I'd be looking at fuel delivery or electrical (if you don't get a spark).

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I just thought of something with the above, 1st Gen's have spark plug wires, don't they?? Just happened to think, my 2nd Gen doesn't!
Your car doesn't have wires then I don't think it will run. Didn't realize he said it turns but doesn't fire scratch starter. Thanks guys for correcting me.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
OK let me rephrase that...My 2nd Gen doesn't have wires that are easily accessable... as you really have to remove a lot of stuff just to get to the plugs, at least on the 3.5 HO.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay. It is not a spark or fuel problem. Have any of you heard of this type of phantom problem in this model before? Also I had a another look at her engine it is a 3.3L.

·
Registered
781 Posts
try checking the battery connections... this happens on occasion on my 3.5l. the negative or positive (in my case usually negative) battery connector would be loose... just take it off, clean it up a bit, and put it back on and see if that helps. it happened once to the point where i couldn't wiggle it enough to get a good point of contact so i changed the connectors, and now it seems to resurface, so i'm changing my battery, cables and the connectors.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats a beauty of an idea! Thanks Kenundrum I'll try that this evening. I did'nt even think of that, I was looking in my mind to more sinister problems. I'll post my findings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have no way of checking codes myself. The cheapest shop where I live wants $75.00 to hook up. So that can't happen until one of us gets some spare cash.

·
Registered
23 Posts
no start then start later

bitartrate said:
My girlfriends 1994 Intrepid has a strange starting problem that comes and goes. It will be fine all week until every once in a while the car just wont turn over. The engine turns but no fire. After she waits about half an hour it starts just fine and will be good for several days.

Are there any known problems like this with this line of car?

It has a V6, automatic.
read the previous threads, i have same problem and had two very satisfactory answers, one ignition swith and other cam sensor, i will check out both. there is nothing wrong with your starter or your fuel pump. i have same problem welder3

1 - 20 of 22 Posts