DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a utility that will help me sort my photos - well, more compare than sort...

I've got four computers with pictures on them that have been moved, shuffled, copied, moved again... I've been in a hurry and downloaded pictures from my camera to email them, but then forgot to clear the camera off before taking more shots... then been in a hurry again to download them, creating duplicates, etc...

I'm looking for a software utility that will look at a groups of pictures in different locations, and based on the content of the photo, tell me about duplicates.

Does such a thing exist?

·
Registered
32 Posts
A web search will turn up many Duplicate File Finders and many are free. Most will do more than just file name comparesons and can compare contents too. Some claim to be able to compare photos in different resolutions/sizes and using different compression methods/amounts.

Of course you get what you pay for, so some some are not all that good, but even the free ones can be a useful tool.

Be aware that doing a thorough search can take DAYS on some machines depending on the speed of the system, and how many files there are... and what kind of compareson search you have it doing.

Some have automatic methods to just flat out right delete the oldest of duplicates or some other set of criteria, like, delete files in "A" if found in "B" also. Of course, that takes a brave heart to just let any cornpewter program make that kind of decision!

I have never had the fortitude to sit and look at all the bazillion duplicates that the programs find to decide which ones to keep and which to throw away. I get started and soon lose interest or get distracted with the desire to edit some of the photos (or go play solitaire!).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts