DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes: :devil:
THIS IS A PIC OF THE COLD AIR INTAKE I BUILT FOR ME 3.3 WITH IDEAS I GOT FROM THIS FORUM. KUDOS TO THE GUYS WITH THE IDEAS. I BUILT IT FROM PARTS FOUND AT ANY AUTO PARTS AND HARDWARE STORE AT A TOTAL COST (INCLUDING THE APC FILTER) OF ABOUT 40 BUCKS. BUT MORE IMPORTANT THEN IT BEING CHEAP TO MAKE I ALSO GET THE SATISFACTION OF MAKING IT MYSELF. FOR THE DOUBTERS OUT THERE IT DOES HELP EVEN MORE SO WITH THE NEW EXHAUST I PUT ON. SOUNDS SO SWEET WITH A DEEP GROWL ISTEAD OF THE STOCK vroooooooooom!!
I ALSO EVEN LIKE THE FACT THAT THE LITTLE RICER BOYS TURN THIER HEADS AND LOOK.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i used a 3/4 inch elbow and a rubber gromet to make the seal air tight. and het whats wrong with the 3.3? id rather have the 3.5 but i dont. and if you have it why not mod it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
re

That is what I say, work with what ya got.

Well I have some leads on some new stuff that might soon be available for the 3.3l but I don't know how reliable my source is so if I can nail it down i'll post about it :)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:eek:mg: sounds like a promising lead hope you can nail it man i would love to see it.... keep the party going.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well yeah aftcharger yours is where i got the original idea for it. thanx for that but i decided to see if i could build it myself cheaper and still have it look good. It may not look as shiny as yours but hey i built it myself and that give me alot of satisfaction. by the way do you notice any increase in performance with your on? i notice a difference with the intake and exhaust.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Actually, yours turned out vey nice. Good job. As for being shiny, your picture is actually somewhat blurry, so it prolly would look much better in the clear.

I noticed a small increase in pick-up on the line, and during passing at highway speeds, however, the biggest change was simply the sound it makes because of air pull through the filter and tube.

At about 1800 RPM at cruise it sounds like a turbo is kickin in. Pretty cool.

I currently don't have it on my car because of winter weather, but in a few weeks it'll go back on with the rims and system.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i like the intake. it's a really good custom install. one thing though...i'm not really sure that it's an "cold air" intake per se. it's drawing from the same place as the stock airbox.

nonetheless, still a really quality looking intake.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i can see your point on the cold air point but it does have a smoother transition on air flow and isnt as restricted as it was with stock air box. it does sound awful sweet with it pulling in the extra air and the stock "shoe box muffler" gone... well thats what the wifes says it looks like anyways.....lol thanks for the good posts guys with limited funds i wanted something not to exspensive but still looks good. I'm thinking of puting a larger intake tube in between the two ends 3 inches on both ends with a 4 or 5 inch diameter peice in between the two they say it adds a little more air in reserve for better low end and better acceleration. this is what i have gathered from others. tell me what you guys think.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not a problem the first thing i did is goto the hardware store and went to the plumbing section and bought a rubber reducer (3 in to 2 inch) it will come with clamps. the i went to the auto parts store and bought an apc cone filter (most of them have a 3inch outlet), a length of 3 inch exhaust tubing, 3/4 inch emmissions elbow,and 3/4 inch hose, and a rubber grommet to make a seal when you drill a hole for the elbow. dont forget a hose clamp to hold the hose to the elbow. after removing the stock air box figure where you want your filter to sit and measure the length of the tube(remember measure it twice and cut once it costs half as much). the rest is basicly drilling the hole for the elbow and inserting the grommet and elbow. then attach the rubber reducer to one end and the filter to the other and tighten filter and reducer to tube. then slide onto throttle body and adjust angle before tightening clamp. after everything is set cut a length of you hose and attach using clamp at elbow. hope this helps

·
Registered
432 Posts
no dis-respect for you 3.3 guys, but we need some other pics of some of the big boys intakes. I mean ofcourse of the 3.5 insted. I think I have only seen one so far!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:baaa: :p :devil: WELL IF I HAD ONE TO LOOK AT AND MEASURE UP I WOULD SEE WHAT I COULD COME UP TO PRODUCE ONE I HAVE SOME IDEAS OF HOW TO MAKE ONE WORKS AND MAKE IT WORK WELL BUT I NEED A VICTIM TO BE ABLE TO TEST FIT IT. IF SOMEONE CAN MEASURE IT UP FOR ME I'LL SEE WHAT I CAN COME UP WITH.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:laugh: :hehe: :thumbsup: :sneaky: :music: IS THIS BETTER ON THE SMILEYS HATE TO DISAPOINT

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I try nothing better then a good laugh. well i agree with you i hope i do to it would be great to be able to design one for the big boys. lol.... i dont think it would be that bad to design one. you would think from what i have seen of pictures of the 3.5 it would be fesable to us a alum. t at the first throttle body and continue over to a 90 elbow at the second. all one tube just a larger diameter such as a 5 inch to start. but who know one day i'll get my chance

·
Registered
583 Posts
Hey buds can i ask you a question i want to get a cone filter what sounds better k & n air filter or the cone filter??

1 - 20 of 40 Posts