DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided not to get rid of them but this summer they will be the last stock piece of my system. I know they aren't that important (my system is faded 2/3 to the front) but I'd like to upgrade them to some aftermarket ones that will just run off my HU. Here is my dilemma. They don't really need to handle **** for watts since my HU will probably put out what 18 watts rms per channel (200W total HU), but I want them to be crystal clear. If I go for low power 6x9s they are generally not very good quality. Is there a good set out there that I just haven't found or would it be better to go with something that is designed for the higher watts even though I won't be hitting even close to that?

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Your best bet would be to find some basic 2-way 6x9s and then clip the wires to the tweeter. This will allow you to have some basic rear fill without the tweeters taking away from your front stage. It will also remove what is commonly the crappiest part of a cheap coaxial speaker: the filter and the tweeter... ;)

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any reccomendations on some good two way tweeters? I know theres tons out there, just looking for a little direction to start my search with.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow I must have been tired when I typed that, because it makes no sense at all. Probably why I got no response.

I'm looking at this set of Infinity 6x9s, because I want rear fill but I don't want any part of my system to be "messy" at all and I am going t o be getting my new amp through a circuit city employee so I can pick these up with the same employee discount probably.
http://www.cartoys.com/cartoys/showdetl.cfm/Product_ID/20365/CurDisplay/2
I know they aren't listed on the circuit city website, but they can order infinity products. Anyways my real question db is if I get a nice set of speakers like this, would it still be best to clip the tweeters? Would there be a way to experiment with that without permanently disconnecting them?

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
I personally wouldn't want tweeter frequencies in anything I put in the rear. Even the OEM Infinity system lowpasses the rear speakers as it deters dramatically from the front stage. The only real way to test it without causing semi-permanent to permanent "damage" to the speakers would be to use a crossover to low pass the signal. If the amp you're using has adequately high frequency adjustment (which it probably does not as most in-amp lowpass filters are designed to filter for a subwoofer) you could use that. Otherwise it would require investing in somthing to perform the filtering. It is possible to fix a broken/cut tinsel lead, but it's tricky and not usually something I would recommend trying...

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So are the stock midline 6x9s just simple one way cones? Honestly they aren't bad for what I want, but I'd like something that can handle some more volume before distorting and is a litte sharper. I don't want any more frequency range out of them or anything (at least not higher, lower wouldn't hurt). Do they even make good one way 6x9s, because I can't seem to find them anywhere. If not then I'll just stick with the infinitis in and clip the tweeter wires like you said.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
I'm not aware of any decent 1-way 6x9s. Most are made for full range sound with the tweeter. When most people do rear fill setups they simply use a round midbass driver. Which you could do with an adapter plate, but that may be more work than you're looking to do and the component midbass may be just as expensive as a pair of 6x9s...

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Making an adaptor plate is a piece of cake, do you think though that a round midbass would work better than a comparably priced 6x9 (keep in mind those infinitis will be decently cheap for me)? If it would be significantly better, than I'll just go with that because I'm looking to build the last stage of my system for this car. After the 6x9 upgrade and the sub install, I won't be adding anything more for several years.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
If you can get the 6x9s cheap and don't mind cutting the tweeter out, I would probably go that route. But it's up to you. As long as you keep the tweeter out of it I would say the response would be very similar between the two options...

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright thanks a lot, the only way I'll probably go the midbass route is if I can get a deal on a nice set of JLs (I don't even know if they exist) when I get my two subs from them (dropping that much cash they at least give you something like 10percent off to convince you to buy them).

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
From the description and specs they do sound pretty nice. Almost over kill for a basic rear fill application. But they probably would be nicer than the 6x9 route...

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
dbaudiopro said:
From the description and specs they do sound pretty nice. Almost over kill for a basic rear fill application. But they probably would be nicer than the 6x9 route...
I just used that one as an example of the good options that are out there. It may be overkill, but thats how I tend to do things. Overkill is definately preferable to not doing enough.

6x9 woofer? I'm really looking for a midbass so if it actually is a midbass then I'd be interested but I don't need 6x9 woofers (even though that is pretty cool).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts