DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had a ping for a while that was developing over time... mainly after I discovered my EGR tubes were a little loose. I took the initiative to tighten them, but the bolts going into the EGR valve stripped the holes in the EGR valve assembly. Ever since then I've noticed a slight exhaust leak under hard acceleration and some pinging. My uncle has one of those "suckers" that sucks air in and tells you how much CO2, hydrocarbons, CO, etc. are in the air where ever you place the nozzle. There weren't any abnormal numbers (of course), so he just recommended the mid-grade fuel until it gets noticably worse. I've been using that since and no more pinging. I use texaco gasoline, by the way.

bvwib, did they check the EGR system? the EGR system is there to stop pinging, among other things. AI think most of the time, pinging is related to the EGR system not recirculating enough exhaust gas to raise the combustion temp.

If I were the mechanic, that's the first thing I would check... If the valves were bad, I'm sure there would be more problems than just pinging.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.