DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning everybody,
I was noticing a ping noise on my car. This usually happened when I accelerated hard(when getting on highway). It was getting worse and worse, so I took it to a mechanic. They told me that I needed to put in high octaine gas...but for what I remember, using super was bad for the car. Has anybody had the same problem? (1998 base)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks rich00es and MoparPerformance for the advise. Im going to try the fuel change and at the same time ask for those updates. Hopefully that will take care of it. It would be such a shame otherwise cause my car is only in the 60's.
Will keep you fellas posted..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Update

Well I took it to the dealer and I mentioned the updates, but according to them it was the head. I said fine, let me contact the warranty so they could give the go ahead. When the mechanic slapped them with the big estimate they said...wait a min, let's try changing the valves first. They were more than sure that it was the valves.WHAT can I do, they are the ones paying. Sure enough, the job was completed yesterday (after a week of work) and the problem was still there.
Dam, I visited my car everyday to get an update. Felt like my car was going thru a major heart operation. I literary know what the inside of my engine looks like. :eek:
Now I have to wait another week or two :mg:. while they reopen my baby up and send it's head to the machine.
Will give another update soon...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hey thanks for the reply. Im going to ask the mechanic about the EGR. By the way, what exactly does it stand for? As a matter of fact im going to print out this to see what he says. Im sure they know what they are doing, if anything they're problably fixing something they are not suppose to just to make that extra buck.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update:

Well after a long and hard battle with my extended warranty (Old Republic, which i do not recommend) im finally getting my car back today. My repairs were the following:

12 new guides, valve seals , shaved heads, gaskets, thermostat housing, two belts, plugs, driver window control and last but not least an oil change.

Price: a little over 2k
my deductable: 50
my cost: 400 bucks *

The fact that im getting my car back with practically a new engine..PRICELESS

*why? well the dam insurance company didn't want to pay for shaving the heads ..(belts, plugs, oil change) <--this i knew about

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow, is the host of this site affiliated with the insurance company I have?? lol!

Well it's a week later and my car is running smooth. It actually feels like it gained some nice pickup. Im going to take it easy for now, since it's still fresh out of the garage.
One little problem though, I ran that key test (where you turn the key back and forth 7 times) and i got the following codes:

P1684
P0122
P0123
P0118
P0113
P1490
P1489
P0406

Does anybody know what these mean?

*Hey no prob rich00es. hope my case was just "one in a million"

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey rich00es
I posted the codes on another thread and i got a reply. I printed them out and showed the mechanic. He said exactly that,left over from the work done. He's going to reset the computer on my next visit.
thanks anyways!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.