DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
The 2.7L is not designed for high octane fuel though through my experience does seem to perform nicely with it. The pining can be bad for the engine so be careful. This has been a major problem for Dodge Ram pickups and there are PCM updates to correct this.

Using premium fuel in my 99 3.2L never made a difference although it did in my 3.3L and my new 2.7L. My reccomendation is DO NOT use generic or Arco fuel! Most of these fuels are are not nearly as pure. I only use 76 or Shell and have not had any problems.

Here's what I would do...... Use some better quality gas if not already before trying premium. Check with a Dodge/Chrysler dealer to see if there are any PCM (Powertrain Control Module) updates available. If you haven't had any and they tell you no, verify it with another dealer since some for some reason lie about it like my dealer did. Hell while it's in you may want to also get a TCM (Transmission Control Module) update. It usually costs $60.00 - $90.00 and is a good thing to do, couldn't hurt. After I would remove the negative battery cable for 15 mintues then reattach it. This will reset your air/fuel mixture to original factory defaults. This is how the dealers do it. Be advised that this resets your TCM as well. These thigns should or could correct an octane related type ping in the engine. If it's a different type of ping or from something else it's another story.

Else, on a more serious note....... I have heard of a 2.7L supposedly common issue that involves something with the valves breaking or something, it will blow the engine from what I have heard. Be careful.....!

That's what I would try first, then take it in to a dealer and have them check it out if there are no fault codes you can pull.

Good Luck.............

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well, good luck man......! Also, a locking gas cap is a good idea, may be a little paranoid but people may be able to poor shhht in your tank..... With all three of my treps I have always had locking gas caps just so that's not really a possibility when a problem arises. You should be able to get them at Kragen or Pep Boys. Definately, let us know how it goes..............

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.