DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how come i cant bridge 2 4 ohms into a 2 channel amp but i can bridge 2 8 ohm subs to a 2 channel amp
so i can take a 2 channel to a 1 channel

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Bridging 2 - 4 ohm subs together would make it a 2ohm load, is you amp rated to handle 2 ohms stable? With the 2 - 8ohm subs bridged it would come out to 4 ohm and all amps are usually stable a 4 ohm.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it shows the diagram and it has 2 8 ohms good and 2 4 ohms bad is that their suggestion or it cant be done

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Most 2 channel amps are not stable running with a 2ohm mono load, only 4ohm. That's why they show the diagram like the do, so no you can't parallel two 4ohm subs in a mono configuration. You need an amp that is stable at 2ohms bridged to be able to do that...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
also i have 4 subs so i have a diagram that shows hooking up 4 12 4 ohm subs together and it turns it into 4 ohm when its done
so like the left front + to the left rear + and the left front - to the right front + then the right front - to the right rear - and the left rear - to the right rear + it brings it to 4 ohms now with that my amp should handle the 4 ohm load?

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
How big is your amp? I doubt very much that a little 2 channel amp is going to power 4 subs very effectively. You would be much better off with a larger mono block or something...

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well its a big ass amp its 750 watts and it was thumping my 2 subs and now if iput all 4 it will be a 4 ohm and thats what the amp can be stable is on a 4 ohm the amp is like a foot and a half by lill over a foot

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Bets buy shows : 380W RMS (continuous) x 1 @ 4 ohms, bridged, 10Hz - 50kHz, 0.008% THD

If you were going to hook up 4 subs to that amp you would be pushing only 95 watts rms to each sub. That is not going to do much for you, i would do as dbaudiopro said and look for a bigger monoblock amp and then hook up all 4 subs.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
lvdodgeonstock said:
well i hooked up all of em and its shaking my car
lets hope it keeps shakin' and don't smoke ;)

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
lvdodgeonstock said:
well its a big ass amp its 750 watts and it was thumping my 2 subs and now if iput all 4 it will be a 4 ohm and thats what the amp can be stable is on a 4 ohm the amp is like a foot and a half by lill over a foot
First of all, size makes no difference. Many amp manufacturers, especially low end ones will build huge cases and heat sinks for a very, very small circuit board to appear impressive. DON'T BE FOOLED! A bigger case is meaninless, it's what's inside that counts. Also, it's not a 750W amp. That's it's useless "MAX" power rating. Go by the RMS, which is 380W.

As for it running 4 subs, like elboricuda said, that's only 95W per sub. If you had it powering 2 subs before, most likely you're not getting any more power out of the amp itself and each sub is actually getting half the power they two were before.

Of course, if it's working and you like it, go for it. I just wouldn't count on it lasting long...

·
Registered
887 Posts
guess what. Knowing you(reading what you've posted in this thread), you're going to **** something up.

·
Registered
126 Posts
are pioneer amps really that THD oriented? 0.008% THD, that is Diamond Audio, and MCIntosh territory right there not best buy lol?

·
Registered
589 Posts
trav i would like to see maybe i could help ya with ya ride and see what ya got going do ya have a crossover , does the amp have a crossover in it hit me up on yahoo if not nicks got my # we should all get together before this meet to

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
Granycarwitthump1994 said:
0.008% THD uhh is pioneer that good?
It all depends on how that spec was measured. If measured at 1kHz output at 1W of power (like many, many companies do) then yeah, it's probably that good. Measured accross the bandwidth (20Hz-20kHz) at full output power, then most likely no, definitely not. You really can't compare 1 amp to another based on THD because you have no idea the conditions under which that spec was measured...

·
Registered
126 Posts
okay thanx. so its important to look for "THD % at rated rms power @ blank ohms?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts