DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,
I just left the mechanic and he says the tapping noise is not a lifter, it is a piston skirt. From what he said I would have preferd for it to be a lifter. NOW I have to drive to Boston for a new job................no choice but to "go or blow". Anyone have this issue with an R/T 3.5 V6? Would love some input, will I make it to Boston from Memphis, Tn??????????????

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
I had a tapping noise for over a year (meaning thousands of miles, some of which were even on the autoX track) before I spun a rod bearing in my '01 R/T. Every mechanic that ever listened to it said it sounded like a stuck lifter. Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll ever know what the tapping really was. Most likely it was completey unrelated though...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am at 152k on my 01 r/t and now have 2k mile drive ahead of me........fingers crossed........and everything else. If anyone has any input on how far I might get I would appreciate it. I know this one of those "maybe you will, maybe you won't" kind of things but some encouraging words would be nice :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
JoelRT said:
Well,
I just left the mechanic and he says the tapping noise is not a lifter, it is a piston skirt. From what he said I would have preferd for it to be a lifter. NOW I have to drive to Boston for a new job................no choice but to "go or blow". Anyone have this issue with an R/T 3.5 V6? Would love some input, will I make it to Boston from Memphis, Tn??????????????
I assume that you are hearing "piston slap" The piston skirt slapping cylinder wall as it moves downward on power stroke because piston pin to piston is loose. This noise is louder most of the time when engine is cold, before piston expands. Since the fix involves new piston and lots of work drive it till it quits! I've seen lots of other cars go a whole lot of miles with this noise before they quit. Drive easy and avoid quick accellaration.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Lex! You nailed it right on the head. I have noticed it is not as loud once engine gets warmer. I am just going to point the car north and hope for the best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts