DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The movement of the air intake and battery is now complete.
It was all fabricated fron 1/8 and 3/16th inch aluminium sheet and some aluminium channel pieces, with a few pieces of trunk weather stripping for seals and trim screws and SS screw to hold it all together.
Here is the covering/baffle over the hole iI cut in the firewall extension under the strut brace, it will stop any debris and watter from getting inside & is polished for appearance:

Here is the cut out from "down under, showing the leaf screen, it was cut from one that covers the heater inlet that I pirated at the yard. Plenty of air can get through without restriction:

Here is the inlet end of the tubing to the throttle body. It is only 6" long, so will provide very little restriction. It too, is polished, even though it cannot normally be seen. It is sealed through the hole in the side of the box with a piece of the really solf and flexible stripping that goes under the door of the 'Trep - again pirated from the yard.

Here is the filter in place. As you can see, there is ample room for removal for maintainance. The covering on it is a shop vac foam filter. It keeps out the larger dust and crap from fouling the filter, doesn't restrict any air flow, and is easy to wash and clean. Makes the K&N virtually maintainance free.

The "door covering the filter is removed by taking out the two trim screw on the front edge then pulling straight up. You can see the trunk weather stripping used as a seal.

These two show the new battery location. It is now completely accessable, has only a 12" ground cable & positive instead of 24", and a nice polished aluminium heat shield. The battery hold down will go from the front support, beside the hood bumper to the fenderwell.

Total cost of the project, not counting the actual K&N filter - $28.00 Cdn dollars, plus a few screws and bolts.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Vegas Trep 00 said:
very nice but thats not much air flow to the take dont u think

It actually has over 3 times the inlet area of the stock "hole" in the plastic filter box. It is deceiving to look at, because part of it is verticle and part is horizontal because of the way the sheet metal is bent there. It actually has an opening of almost 3" X 9". It will be more than sufficient; as well, at speed, it will get a certain amount of "ram" effect.

Thanks Keith - as we know all things are subjective, and I appreciate your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
16,969 Posts
I like it! Any 'before' and 'after' dyno tests?

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
:claps: :claps: :claps: Very impressive! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Will this intake of yours will be more efficient than a K&N or Joe's?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Ross,

What about when it rains, seems it would go directly into your custom intake?

Is it pulling air from the top or the side where the tire is located?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Nice job. It reminds me of the cowl air intake. That the current Stock cars use. The same lowair psi zone at the base of the windshield's A sugestion, get some foil backed insulation. And but it on the bottom, and side's of the air box. The cat is right below your air box. And the heat is going to just cook the bottom of it. You can get either wrap or board type insulation will work fine. 1/2 inch. thick would do the trick.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hellsspawn said:
by looking at it im gonna say no... cuz it looks like its drawing from a major heat source
Not sure where you see the heat source. It draws from the outside air at the base of the windshield - no where near any heat. The intake is fully enclosed by the aluminium housing.

Also, the aluminium baffle will stop the water, it is no different than the heater air inlet - no water comes in there generally.

As far as efficiencey is concerned, since it is a K&N filter, and only has a short 8" piece of tubing instead of the longer tubing of Joe's and K&N's kit, it shouldn't be any worse.
I know there will be those that will split hairs concerning the "tuned length" of the intake but since my major intent is NOT for an increase in intake efficiencey, but rather to be able to move the battery, the minimal percentage that I'd gain or lose by the short intake doesn't concern me.

As far as the heat is concerned, it may end up being a valid point, and one I will consider, since there will be times when the car will idle or move slowly in rush hour traffic, so it may be a bit of a problem, though I wouldn't think it will cook the housing, since it is right over the steering ram, and behind where the stock plastic duct work was, and if the heat was that significant, the ram or duct would be affected, but they seem to work OK from the factory.
However, I may inslate it anyway. I'll see how it seems when I actually get the car running.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My intake air box is in the same location, did you add any insolation to yours too help keep the engine bay air from heating up the box? Good Job.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Thats what i was trying too say 300Michael The air box is right above the cat with all that heat coming up on the underside of the metal box it is going to heat up the air before it goes into the motor. That is why the auto makers use plastic, plus being lighter weight.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Isn't that area where the A/C system pulls outside are from ?

Next question being will intake noise come into the interior through there?
More importantly will the engine and the A/C motor fight for the air coming through the cowl ?

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
04IntrepidSXT said:
Isn't that area where the A/C system pulls outside are from ?

Next question being will intake noise come into the interior through there?
More importantly will the engine and the A/C motor fight for the air coming through the cowl ?

Yes, the AC/heater gets its air from the the same inlet area .

They will have to learn to get along, or they can :brutal_08 - if they can't get enough air through an opening that is 4" wide by 30" long, there is definitely something wrong.

If the intake noise becomes objectionable, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm - turn the radio up?

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Glad someone referenced this thread - somehow I missed it the first time. Nice job on the airbox! :fun_08:

I'll definitely have to do some looking under the hood and think about this ...

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just a note to the concerns of the heat from the cat - there is sufficient room above it to make a nice polished aluminium heat shield and mount it over the cat. That would probably decrease the under-hood temp considerably.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts