DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic piece that runs all the way across the bottom of the front of the car has tossed a couple of its plastic-looking rivets and is gapping from it's mount. Does anyone know what purpose this piece services? The reason I ask it is looks like it would be just as easy (if not easier) to help it the rest of the way off than it would be to find some of the correct size rivets and pop it back into place. Couldn't come up with any good search terms to reference so I thought I'd just throw the question out there.

Thanks,
~Xile

·
Registered
982 Posts
LvngInXile said:
The plastic piece that runs all the way across the bottom of the front of the car has tossed a couple of its plastic-looking rivets and is gapping from it's mount. Does anyone know what purpose this piece services? The reason I ask it is looks like it would be just as easy (if not easier) to help it the rest of the way off than it would be to find some of the correct size rivets and pop it back into place. Couldn't come up with any good search terms to reference so I thought I'd just throw the question out there.

Thanks,
~Xile
After replacing the plastic rivets twice and mine got loose again I finally just removed the whole thing. It is just a plastic front spoiler and the only purpose it seems to have is to drag on steep driveways and lets the women drivers know when they have run over the parking lot curbs :clown: It doesn't seem to have made any difference in anything to have it removed.

·
Registered
316 Posts
mine has been off for a couple of years and now I'm noticing that the front bumper is sagging down away from the front quarter panels. I'm probably going to try to find one at a junkyard and replace it.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Mine has been off since November when I hit a ditch. It's just the front air dam....doesn't do much, looks better with it off IMO.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
mine is on with Zip ties, they hold sooo much better than those little clips. I didn't take it off because it was put there for a reason, dont know what it is, but since that's how it came, that's how it's gonna stay on my Intrepid.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
That's just a scrape guard, not an air dam. Your bumper cover is the actual air-dam. It just tells you that you're about to scrape something before it actually does any real damage to the underside.

·
Registered
503 Posts
its all aerodynamics man. the vertical air dam is just below the radiator. high pressure builds up in front of the dam and than low pressure is created behind the air dam and it actually forces air to flow thru the radiator. supposed to help your cooling at highway speeds. lots of cars have the same type of device.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
TERMINATOR101CA said:
That's just a scrape guard, not an air dam. Your bumper cover is the actual air-dam. It just tells you that you're about to scrape something before it actually does any real damage to the underside.

joe_mn said:
its all aerodynamics man. the vertical air dam is just below the radiator. high pressure builds up in front of the dam and than low pressure is created behind the air dam and it actually forces air to flow thru the radiator. supposed to help your cooling at highway speeds. lots of cars have the same type of device.
And those are the reasons mine is still on.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I went to the local dealership and got a bunch of the push in rivets so i can just replace them as needed, which is hardly ever now that i can judge perfectly when to stop. If you need the part number let me know.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I dressed mine up with chrome accents ;)
You can see it in my sig pic :)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Avenger said:
I dressed mine up with chrome accents ;)
You can see it in my sig pic :)
I caught that before...

Mine's a little rough and I was thinking of replacing it. How did you do your's ?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
I never took it off......it's the original one. With the lowering springs and the undersized tires I had on there, I scraped it up pretty good.......but now I've got stock sized 20" tires.....and it doesn't scrape anymore. I used some chrome adhesive moulding I picked up from Crappy Tire.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Part number is..... 6504521 Pin Push. $1.85 each, list price. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts