DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it sounds cheap as **** but I have seen it used a few times. My question is, is it safe to use black plastic pcv sewer pipe for an intake tub. I thought I heard somewhere that it would harm the engine somehow (something about heating up and giving off vapours) It would be a cheap solution though for those of us that already have ugly engine bays and are looking so spend $10 CDN instead of $70 CDN for the specter. And wouldn't the plastic provide a much better thermal barrier against engine heat than aluminum would??? What do you guys think of its functionality (looks asside) just throwing this out there.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Yes to both your answers , just use ABS and not PVC wich gives out poisonus gases when heated. ABS would work just fine, and keep the air cooler than a metal intake tube, if the looks isn't a problem go ABS.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
any pics of ur setup denis... i may just go the abs route even tho looks are very important LOL....

im not sure how the 3.5 path goes tho. abs would be all straight right?

I may just take out the air box and change to a new KN filter.. does that work too? I just dont want to remove that sensor on the intake since most of my friends drive civics and their intake sensors are just haning there LOL.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
linuxglobal said:
any pics of ur setup denis... i may just go the abs route even tho looks are very important LOL....

im not sure how the 3.5 path goes tho. abs would be all straight right?

I may just take out the air box and change to a new KN filter.. does that work too? I just dont want to remove that sensor on the intake since most of my friends drive civics and their intake sensors are just haning there LOL.
You only need to replace the accordian tube and the stock airbox and resonator beside, there's no sensors attached to this stuff . BTW I still have the stock airbox, my car is already noisy as it is..LOL I'll probably go the TFC route with the box getting air from the cowl. It's not going to be all straight you're going to need some bends wich you get whereever you're buying the ABS piping. :icecream:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Yup, piping will work just fine.

I hate to send someone here, but go to the ricer trep's (that orange thing) car domain page if yuou want to see a sewer pipe intake setup.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Great White said:
Yup, piping will work just fine.

I hate to send someone here, but go to the ricer trep's (that orange thing) car domain page if yuou want to see a sewer pipe intake setup.

Cheers

BJ
Yeah , he went the xtra mile and added piping to go and "drain" in his useless FMIC with a cone in the other side, what a tool... :biglaugh:

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I think the extra filter you're looking at goes to his "turbo" -AKA exhaust blower- inlet. There's a blown up picture there somewhere where you can seeit pretty clear.

More of a poser than a tool I think.

Cheers

BJ

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
i've herd that the pvc pipes break into particals when they age alittle bit and then all them little plastic peaces gets into your engine. there are no senceors or anything on the intake eather i'm replacing all of mine, i might try somthing like duel cold air intake dont know for sure yet :).. Good luck with your intake.

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Yeah...it'll work, but do you really want to look at a sewer pipe under your hood??!! Nasty.... I always say "Don't be cheap, do it right!", but that's just me.... :biggrin:

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So PVC=dangerous vapour, brocken pieces and ruined engine but ABS=cheap looking but solid, safe performance.

As far as looks go I was thinking about sanding the pieces down to match more smoothly then using an insulating wrap to both keep heat out and to put a uniform outside diameter to the whole intake pipe. As long as I don't sand away to much the pipe should still be strong enough to hold up, and with heat wrap on it no one would know I used abs. Any input on this idea?????

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
You can't sand them smooth, bcs you would be sanding the whole pipe off on the female side as it is bigger to accomodate the 3" OD of the other connecting part.You could sand the ridge down a little to make the transition smother but nothing more than that. Remember that it's the inside that should be smooth to improve air-flow, outside is just cosmetic.

·
Registered
360 Posts
wrap it....make everyone wonder whats under it..........

Imadreadhead...what pieces and lengths did you use? if I may ask....

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
ill take measurements...but remember 3" abs pipe is way thicker than 3" so get a 3 1/2" filter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts