DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need help! when i start the trep, it sounds like a monkey is banging on the motor with a hammer, and it continnues to rattle while in park. if i tap the gas, shift, or otherwise change the rpms, it will stop. she has 96,400 miles, so i need to do the 100k stuff soon, (water pump and timing chain) could the sound be one of those? and today, i noticed that she was running a little warmer than normal. so thats why i think it could be the water pump.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
If it's coming from the front cover, then it's the timing belt. She's loose at idle, and then alittle tighter when you step on the gas. If I was you, I'd get that changed pretty fast. When you get the belt done do the water pump done too.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
8845int said:
for sure? how much do you think a mechanic would charge to fix it?
That hard to say, around here it go's from a few hundred on up. Just depends on how hard they want to screw you. If you got the time to do it, you can do it yourshelf. Thats if your into doing that stuff. If not I'd do some shopping around. If you want to to it yourshelf, just do a search on the timing belt replacement, there has been alot of member's that have changed their own.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
8845int said:
well, we have a good mechanic, who is a friend of the family, so hopefully he will be good to me. but how hard is it to do myself?
Umm, if you got a good family mechanic, have him do it. I did mine myself, and it didn't take to long to do. Maybe these thread will help you out some:

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69678&highlight=Timing+Belt+How-To

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66669&highlight=Timing+Belt+How-To

And a great thread by Ryan D :

http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70621&page=1

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm... that looks like a bit of work. but considering that i have no job right now, therefore no money, and that those threads look very helpful, i may just try it.

but we will see what the mechanic says tomorrow

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, the mechanic says it will be $80 for the water pump, $90 for the belt, and $300 for labor, so like about $500 for the work. so she will go up the road on friday to be fixed. thanks everyone!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had my timing belt shred on the last 10 miles of a 5 hour road trip and it cost me $800(CDN) for the parts and labour at the dealership, thats with a 'like new' water pump and a OEM belt.

Sad for me a nice 06 Charger roared by and I wanted to have some fun with him so I shot my rpms up, felt a funny vibration in the wheel and the car went from 110kmph to 20 in about 5 seconds then I parked it on the side of the road after a blind long bend in the road... I did not feel safe... and the Charger got away :mad:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so it turns out, that it was neither the timing belt, nor the water pump. the torque converter bolts were loose! how the hell did i manage that?! well anyway, it cost $70 instead of $500 so i aint complaining.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
how does that happen tho? as far as i know nobody has seen those bolts since 1995, and i KNOW nobody has been in there since at least june 05. is it my driving habits? could it have been from the deer? i dunno. it's puzzling.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.