DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously worried! My car has done this three times now...

If I am stopped (like in a drive-thru or at stop light) for a long period of time, my car has been doing some crazy stuff.

Twice it has basically died on me. The idle drops, the oil and airbag lights come on, and I can't move (yes, I have a fine level of normal colored oil in my car, as well as all of my other fluids). So then, I try and go into reverse, nothing, neutral, nothing, drive, nothing, park and back into gear, nothing. It will only go if I restart it though (although that is SO embarassing!)

The third time it decided we were waiting too long and I was just holding my brake down like normal, when my car jolted forward and then stopped, almost like I went from speeding to a braking halt...does anyone have ANY idea where I should start with this problem? please help, before my car kills me!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Sounds like a tranny issue to me?

Time for a new transmission?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just had a new tranny put in about 20-25k ago...I hope it's not time for a new tranny!!!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Oh, well I don't know.....I was just making a guess. Only 20 or 25k on the tranny? Should be ok then.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, about 20-25k. They had it done a littlw bit before I bought it, and that was 9k ago... I hope it's nothing too serious (by that I mean expensive!)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Have you tried to get any codes?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just good old code 55...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Maybe tranny computer needs to be flashed

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...how would I go about doing this? I just tried to search for it and found nothing...even a link would help.

Also, is this something that I/my dad could do?

thanks for the help Timdawg, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Ok I searched through some old threads and found this:TCM

Unfortunately this doesn't solve anything (I thought I had read somewhere it does but I guess I was wrong) Anyway maybe you might need a new TCM (Transmission Control Module) that is the computer that "talks" to the rest of the car. Realize I am by far not an expert so wait and see what some others here might have to say.

·
Registered
505 Posts
That sounds to me like a faulty torque converter....just my guess as I just had to replace mine as it lost lock-up....your TQ seems to be doing the opposite...

Just a thought,,,

Benny

·
Registered
891 Posts
If the idle is just dropping and the car is stalling, maybe it’s your idle air controller. It seems like if it were sticking or not functioning correctly it might cause the car to die, and I guess it could also open too much and cause the car to lurch. It seems like that would come back with a code though, even on an OBD1. I don’ t know for sure if it would work since mine is a 97 and yours is a 93, but I have the TCM from before I installed the autostick if you wanted to try it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You need to separate performance faults due to the engine or transmission.

If you are stopped and you leave the transmission in neutral, does the engine die? If so, it may be as simple as the idle air control valve. It just needs to be cleaned. Do a search in the Gen 1 forum and you will discover how. You might just do it anyway, because it costs nothing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thus far when it has died...well not actually DIED, just stopped...I have been in drive and braking. I'll check on how to clean the idle air control valve and get on that ASAP because it's worth a shot at least!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
sarahsIntrepid said:
Thus far when it has died...well not actually DIED, just stopped...I have been in drive and braking. I'll check on how to clean the idle air control valve and get on that ASAP because it's worth a shot at least!
Maybe this will help you :

Fig. 6: The location of the Idle Air Control (IAC) motor and other assorted components-3.5L engine

Fig. 8: The motor is located at the rear of the intake manifold plenum next to the of the left throttle body-3.5L engine

The Idle Air Control (IAC) motor attaches to the bottom of the throttle body on the 3.3L engine. On the 3.5L engine, the motor is located at the rear of the intake manifold plenum next to the of the left throttle body.

Remove the PCV air hose on the 3.3L engine.

Remove the electrical connector from the idle air control motor.

Remove the idle air control motor mounting screws.

Remove the idle air control motor from the throttle body. Ensure that the O-ring is removed with the motor.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It certainly does! Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I've been taking it easy on my car...but last night i was driving and my check engine light came on. I did the code check and I got a code 54...cam shaft...any idea where I should start? Could this be the problem that is leading to my stall problem and angry intrepid issues? Please let me know if you have any idea...

·
get off my lawn
15,507 Posts
sounds like a cam sensor has crapped out

·
Registered
35 Posts
sounds like all good advice so far but had same problem on my 93 3.5 intrepid,it was crankshaft position sensor.Got mine from local parts store wish I went with oem.Dad,should be able to help you out with this use simple multimeter an read procedure from hayns manual.Good luck
Jake

1 - 19 of 19 Posts