DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I start typing let me say this is me :smilie_sc My cars steering is seriously messed up and I'm puzzled as to why.

Background:

Hit a huge hole getting on the e-way. Steering wheel started to have lots of play. Car sort of jerked around here and there.

I checked that everything is tight. Nothing is broken in the front. Coming home a minute ago I turned into my street like normal. I turned left and the car feel like it sort of wanted to go right.

Could I have to replace my steering rack? Anybody have this problem happen too? Any input would be great just shocked right now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
You probably messed up one of your tie rod ends cause I know my car needs them replaced right now cause I have alot of play in the steering wheel. Thats probably it, that would have to be one big ass hole in the ground to mess up your steering rack.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Searching " 300M Steering Problems " I see this type of foul play and loud clunks are normal. The hole I hit was not huge, but you can say it was sort of big. For those Chicagoland folks it was going 294 South Dempster entrance.

I just left the shop and had many things replaced. You are right the hole should have been huge to cause this type of damage. At which case the city would have put a sign. Normal harsh road conditions would never cause this problem. A small fix yes many times, but never affecting multiple parts.The mechanics told me the exact same things.

I may get kicked out for this post, but never again will I purchase a Dodge. (*Sigh*)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah I know mine has some play in the steering wheel and it clunks a little in the front but you know its still very comfortable to drive, not to mention it was rather inexpensive at $1200. May I ask what was wrong with yours to make it have play in the wheel and make it clunk?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Check the bushings that hold the steering rack to the car. Best way to do this is have somebody turn the steering wheel back and forth while you watch the rack under the hood. The rack should not move relative to the car. If it does then the rack mounting bushings are shot.

Or the bushings that connect the inner tie rods to the steering rack. Those commonly wear out on these cars and I guess its possible that hitting a hard bump could actually pop one out which would make the steering feel really loose and wander like you describe.

Both bushings on my 96 Trep were worn out when I bought it and the steering was horribly scary. Replacing those inexpensive bushings made it feel like a brand new car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts