DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:flame: I have a 2002 intrepid with a full synthetic oil in the engine,its a 2.7 L and the oil light comes on after 10 min of driving, it only comes on when i stop and when i push the gas it cuts off, it also cuts off when i put it in park. i had it looked at at the dealership but of course it didnt happen there, please help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Is the oil level good? Check all fluid levels. I'm not a mechanic, so I don't know?

·
Registered
931 Posts
at idle oil pressure is low, so if its getting that low i think its below 5-6psi the light turns on, you might be lookin at a new pump. or you have excessive bearing clearance, or the sender unit is going. have it check out soon tho

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Humor me on this one....is your filler cap on tight? Is the dipstick in all the way? Does your car leak oil? Those where the things wrong with mine. I bought an oil sending unit and never got around to change it cuz the light went away after I changed the oil and made sure my cap was on tight...it wasn't tight and neither was the dipstick. Sounds weird I know. But check those, then think about changing the oil sending unit. But if it is sluggish etc...have them check the oil pump. Those are the little things I can kinda remember. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
Neoprene00 said:
it only comes on when i stop and when i push the gas it cuts off, it also cuts off when i put it in park.
Sounds like the infamous "Oil Flicker" TSB #08-36-99

Reactions: DCellBatteries

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
How many miles on your car?? Bets on the infamous TSB along with Crombie. When mine first happened last Nov, I **** 'cause car was up to the top with oil. Then I got on here and did some searching and found it was a common problem and cheap and easy to fix. Many, many posts on this very topic. It'l take u a half hour to fix yourself and about $35 to $40 for two parts shipped.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
The cap not on tight makes sense tho. if it's a sensor that shows only at low pressure then the lack of a cap would definately qualify as a low pressure environment. right?

·
Banned
4,553 Posts
Um....no. Oil pressure has nothing to do with the oil cap or dipstick being loose. Oil pressure is generated by the oil pump, not pressure within the crankcase/oil pan.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Cap has nothing to do with oil pressure. Bad crank bearings will definetely show up as low oil pressure. While the oil pump pushes oil through the motor, its actully the tight clearances of the bearings that create oil pressure. If the oil just free flows then there really isn't much pressure, but when you try to squeeze it through a thousandths of an inch gap takes pressure. Now while not knowing how many miles on the engine or any other conditions that might cause low oil pressure for he who posted, I'm inclined (as many of you are) that we've got another flicker TSB victim here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts