DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Cover you vin number up on the driver side front window on the dash bored, If you dont want you car to get stolen, found this out today from my schools dean, PM me to find out how this can get you car stolen if u dont know

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
They can cut a key by using your vin, most dealers need proof of I.D., but if you know someone working there or you're a good talker.... blah blah blah even if you have the gray keys with the computer chips in em, they can get the code from the dealer... blah blah blah, old news my friend.

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
I think you need the actual car to program the keys, just not program a code into the key and your all set.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I think you're right, but they can get in the car with an unprogrammed key, then program it in a matter of seconds with the right tool and then go, if they break in your car with the handheld to program your key, then just give em the ****er.

·
Banned
2,254 Posts
dakotaquadsport said:
I think you need the actual car to program the keys, just not program a code into the key and your all set.
Yes.

IntrepidLHS said:
I think you're right, but they can get in the car with an unprogrammed key, then program it in a matter of seconds with the right tool and then go, if they break in your car with the handheld to program your key, then just give em the ****er.
Also, Yes.

Sentry key does make it much more difficult to just make a new key, without the dealer tool to program a new key. There is a customer programing mode, but you need two previously programed and working keys to do it.

Also, while we're on the subject, there is rumour (i say rumour because i've never heard or seen any proof on it) That Chrysler keys will often open other chrysler cars. i.e. Take your intrepid key and try and open the door of the other Intrepid down the street. And while your at it, try the caravan, and that aries. I think this is supposed to be true for 1G's, don't know about 2G's...

·
Registered
753 Posts
no rumour, I used to have a '87 Daytona Shelby and my wife had a '85 Dodge 600,

not only did my keys open her car, it also started her car, as I found out one morning, when I took my keys and drove her car to work, and she couldn't start my car with her keys ! ( a few extra miles that day)

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
My 1969 Coronet R/T would open and start my Dads 1972 Challenger.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
You would still need to know how to deactivate the alarm on some cars even if you had the key. At least thats how it is if it has an aftermarket alarm.

--Gorm

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sure there is a way around it, many ways infact but all of them require you to modd your car in some way or another:

You can dehandle your car, with outh handles and the locks they contain there is only the remote entry button or cord as access beyond having the remote for the popper.

You can switch the locks out with a different LH car but then this requires you to A. change your ignition lock or B. have two keys one you which can get extreamly annoying (my brother has a key to my car and my dad's 01 caravan has the same style key and he always gets them mixed up).

You can another lock set (like there was a ricer set that used the circle keys like the ones used on the high end bike locks) and modify it into the housing but again it can be a pain and may not even work atall.

Saddly tho if there is somebody who wants you car they can and proabably will get it, any person can get a pick up and get the mini jack(like the unit that regular tow trucks use to tow your car by it's two tires) unit that will allow them to pick up two tires and drag car off, so in the end your best bet is to get a high quality alarm unit installed and make sure to document and save all recipts for items put in your car.

Thieves are truely low class people and annoyingly will do anything to get what they want if they want it badly enough.

·
Registered
140 Posts
4 words 4 you slim jim wire snippers....nuff said keep i mind our cars have a glow ring you can pop it off with a popsicle stick and then start it with the
same stick,and if you r good enough you can even get in the car with it.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
superg said:
4 words 4 you slim jim wire snippers....nuff said keep i mind our cars have a glow ring you can pop it off with a popsicle stick and then start it with the same stick,and if you r good enough you can even get in the car with it.
Ahhh, but Sentry Keys do stop that ... :)

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
dakotaquadsport said:
VERY, VERY Wrong! While that is the most COMMON way it is done the fact is that ALL dealers and MOST good locksmiths have a machine that does it all. The ones at the dealers are so cool that the parts guy just key in the VIN and it tells him which blank to use. He inserts it and hits the start button and then collect $50 bucks from you and you leave with your key.

Simple.

Also. If I want to steal your car there is absolutely nothing whatsoever you can do to stop me short of an armed guard or parking it inside a well locked building. Maybe blocking it in well with other cars. Absolutely any front wheel drive car parked outside with access to the front will take me less than 2 minutes to steal. In fact 95% of them would take less than 15 seconds. No matter what you do it won't even slow me down.

Also it takes less than 30 seconds to open any door of any kind on any car with the right tools. I have to do it for lockouts at work at least twice a month. The simplicity is astonishing.

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
r0meo021 said:
NATIONWIDE is on your side... lol... get some damn insurance and pray someone steals it...lol
Lol... I prefer Progressive. ;)
Anyways... if some tard steals my trep... they better pray to God, Allah, whoever that I don't find them.
Eating every meal through a straw would suck. ;)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Sport/SoundEdition said:
Sure there is a way around it, many ways infact but all of them require you to modd your car in some way or another:

You can dehandle your car, with outh handles and the locks they contain there is only the remote entry button or cord as access beyond having the remote for the popper.

You can switch the locks out with a different LH car but then this requires you to A. change your ignition lock or B. have two keys one you which can get extreamly annoying (my brother has a key to my car and my dad's 01 caravan has the same style key and he always gets them mixed up).

You can another lock set (like there was a ricer set that used the circle keys like the ones used on the high end bike locks) and modify it into the housing but again it can be a pain and may not even work atall.

Saddly tho if there is somebody who wants you car they can and proabably will get it, any person can get a pick up and get the mini jack(like the unit that regular tow trucks use to tow your car by it's two tires) unit that will allow them to pick up two tires and drag car off, so in the end your best bet is to get a high quality alarm unit installed and make sure to document and save all recipts for items put in your car.

Thieves are truely low class people and annoyingly will do anything to get what they want if they want it badly enough.
OR YOU COULD JUST BUY INSURANCE!!!

·
Registered
462 Posts
DScruggs said:
VERY, VERY Wrong! While that is the most COMMON way it is done the fact is that ALL dealers and MOST good locksmiths have a machine that does it all. The ones at the dealers are so cool that the parts guy just key in the VIN and it tells him which blank to use. He inserts it and hits the start button and then collect $50 bucks from you and you leave with your key.

Simple.

Also. If I want to steal your car there is absolutely nothing whatsoever you can do to stop me short of an armed guard or parking it inside a well locked building. Maybe blocking it in well with other cars. Absolutely any front wheel drive car parked outside with access to the front will take me less than 2 minutes to steal. In fact 95% of them would take less than 15 seconds. No matter what you do it won't even slow me down.

Also it takes less than 30 seconds to open any door of any kind on any car with the right tools. I have to do it for lockouts at work at least twice a month. The simplicity is astonishing.
Not sure what you work on, but you are wrong. Sure you will pay $50 for a cut key, but the vehicle will not run with it until it is programmed in the vehicle on a DCX vehicle with skim.

·
Registered
74 Posts
if someone were ot steal your car, big deal. sure its a hassle to deal with your insurance, and lost personal stuff. but there a lots of cars out ther that are nicer than an intrepid, or if you still want another intrepid, there are plenty of those also. i always keep personal stuff out of my car. i had a car stolen before and lost a bunch of stuff with it. it sucked at the time, but i got over it with a new car. karma works, if somebody steals it, they'll get what they deserve in one way or another.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts