DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so, i inherited an '01 se from my folks. The engine started knocking, so they instantly use it as an excuse to buy a prius. Well, anyway, i cant argue with a free car. I dropped the oil pan and such, the rod bearings were toast, but, besides that. Nothing seems to be wrong, im in the midst of changeing bearings. But id like to know if theres any other problems that could come up as a result of this bearing failure, or, ways to prevent such in the future, i figure it was caused by the bloody oil circulation problems in these horrid little 2.7's. Any suggestions, and, pls dont just tell me to swap it for a 3.2 or 3.5. Im already planning on doing that, but, i need this motor to last me another year first. I just dont have the money to dish out to pick up a motor, or the time for a swap yet. pls help, any suggestions would be much appreciated. thx

·
Registered
222 Posts
Check oil pump clearances, replace water pump/primary chain tensioner/chain guides. Often the bearings go because the water pump has failed and let coolant into the oil. It would totally suck to change the bearings and have them fail a thousand miles later.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,838 Posts
Honestly, if the rod bearings are toast, your looking at a crankshaft kit at the very least, which will involve pulling the engine anyways -- so you might as well get a 3.2/5. You might as well let the car sit until you have the cash to do a conversion.

If you just slap bearings in it, it will be a band-aid. Could last an hour, a week, or a month. Depends on how bad the crankshaft journals are. If their tore up, which is very likely with a bad rod bearing already, you will just be wasting your money and time putting new bearings in without servicing the crankshaft. Youll have a bunch of money in a timing chain water pump kit too.

On top of that, you will have to find out the cause of the original failure, which is most likely sludge in the oil pump or pickup, or plugged oil passages.

My advice would be to convert to a 3.2/5. Its not much more work than just pulling and installing the engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well, i understand it is a band aid, thats the idea, this would be my only car...other vehical is an 02 suziki maurader, little 250. I already checked the crank, and surprisingly, its just fine, almost no wear at all, i thought it was really odd to eb in perfect shape, but, heck,not gonna complain. as for the sludge, do you know how well enginge flush products, or seafoam work for such?

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I would NOT flush your engine espically if you are having problems. There is a chance that you may do more harm.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts