DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently bought a 2004 SXT Dodge neon and has been running great up until last night and when i was on the 4 line the car shut basically shuts off and has no power what so ever til i get down to about 20 miles per hour. but that is as fast as it will run i hooked up to a scanner error come up with the po340 error which of course is the cam sensor and i was wondering if anyone knows what could cause this before i actually take it in and get it fixed or if just the sensor is bad because i can easly fix that. but actually getting in the cam shaft would be a bit more time consuming and i'd rather just get it done by a pro. anyone have any idea the car after resting all night runs fine but am afraid to run it over 40 because at 60 is when it locked up on me last night?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,841 Posts
Its the cam sensor most likely. The cam sensor takes over timing over 2500 rpm which would explain your power loss. If its not that, timing belt or tensioner could be loose. Check it out ASAP, because if there is a problem with the timing belt, you could bend valves.

The sensor is a square plastic piece on the center back of the cylinder head, its pretty easy to replace yourself.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Cam timing sensor has failed. I replace a little more than one a year, on average, in my Intrepid. I am currently on cam timing sensor #6 in my car.

If you can, get a Borg/Warner replacement. This is what I got last time, and my car is running much better than it did with the Chrysler sensors.

Jim Snover

i recently bought a 2004 SXT Dodge neon and has been running great up until last night and when i was on the 4 line the car shut basically shuts off and has no power what so ever til i get down to about 20 miles per hour. but that is as fast as it will run i hooked up to a scanner error come up with the po340 error which of course is the cam sensor and i was wondering if anyone knows what could cause this before i actually take it in and get it fixed or if just the sensor is bad because i can easly fix that. but actually getting in the cam shaft would be a bit more time consuming and i'd rather just get it done by a pro. anyone have any idea the car after resting all night runs fine but am afraid to run it over 40 because at 60 is when it locked up on me last night?

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,841 Posts
Cam timing sensor has failed. I replace a little more than one a year, on average, in my Intrepid. I am currently on cam timing sensor #6 in my car.

If you can, get a Borg/Warner replacement. This is what I got last time, and my car is running much better than it did with the Chrysler sensors.

Jim Snover
Funny, ive been running chrysler sensors with no problems ever. I replaced them in 05 during my engine swap. You might have wiring connection issues.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I wish I knew. I even borowed an oscilloscope from work that lets you log 2 weeks worth of data and rigged up a harness to measure it while driving the car. Also so I could keep the expensive o-scope from being lost or damaged, and watch it while the car was running.

No noise, no out-of-spec voltage fluctuations, no ringing on the waveform. Nothing.

But that was with a sensor that was working correctly at the time. I did not have the opportunity to keep the scope longer than two weeks, and after that the sensor failed.

Now, what I have noticed with the Borg/warner sensor has a bit more amplitude in the signal as compared to the one that recently failed. So a bit stronger of a signal back to the PCM. Maybe the old one was higher, too, when it was new? Don't know.

I have also noticed that when going up overpasses, with the Chrysler sensors, the cruise control would correct in big leaps. Nothing at all, then a lot of acceleration all at once, over-shooting the selected speed, and it cut the throttle severely to slow back down. Wiht the Borg/Warner sensor, it adjusts the speed much more incrementally, both accelerating and decelerating. Getting about two more miles per gallon, also, which I atttribute to the closer control of the speed.

Jim Snover

Funny, ive been running chrysler sensors with no problems ever. I replaced them in 05 during my engine swap. You might have wiring connection issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts