Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Hardley ever (<10%)

Votes: 13 25.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bigdaddy..... that is a sweet story! :) Glad to hear they are going with the R/T!

Texas R/T..... you don't have to know how to drive a stick to use the Autostick as there is no clutch involved. The Autostick is really simple to use. Basically shift when ever you want to shift. There is no worry about redlining it since the computer won't let you. I highly suggest playing around with it. You'll get used to it and find out where the best shift points are for you. :biggrin:

Dougman..... I hear you! There's nothing like droping into first at about 35mph and hearing that engine rev up! It's also nice to put her in second or third from a stop in the snow to prevent spinning.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LHSer said:

But you can do the exact same thing in a "regular" automatic. No offence to anyone, but the auto-stick DC employs is as close to a manual as a fly is to a 747. From my experience it shifts no faster or "sportier" than a regular automatic.

I have no illusions that the Autostick is compariable to a manual. There just isn't no comparisons. But I have noticed that sometimes when I'm driving without the Autostick, it won't kick down into first if I want it, or some times when I just want to kick down into second, the computer thinks I wanted to kick down into first. I really like using the Autostick! :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Texas R/T said:

Ok. How about a quick driving lesson. This is what I don't understand: When do you shift to the 1 or the 2 or the 3? I remember the salesman telling me autostick would be useful to pass a Mustang, but what number do you go into? And for going slower or down a hill, what number do you use? Does downshift mean number 1? What does redlining mean? This is not in the owners manual. :confused:
When do you shift?
That depends on what you are doing with your car. Let me tell you what I do and hopefully this makes some sense. If I'm stuck in traffic, I'll usually shift at around 2000rpms (in heavy bumper to bumper traffic a lot of the times I'll try to stay in second). During "normal" exceleration, I usually shift around 2500-3000rpms. Now, if I'm flooring (either because I'm racing or just having fun), I'll usually shift around 6000rpms.

Try this (not in a high traffic situation). With your car in full automatic, excelerate normally and see at what rmps your car shifts at. If you are comfortable with that, than there is your shift point. If you feel that your car shifts too soon, than with Autostick shift at a higher rmp. There really is a lot of "playing around" with the Autostick. I experimented with different shift points and found the ones that I like best.

Downshifting:
It means just that. That is when you shift into a lower gear (such as from 4 to 3, from 3 to 2, and from 2 to 1).

Slowing down and hills:
That really is an open ended question. If you want to slow down while going down the hill, use the brakes (in other words, don't use your tranny to brake). If the engine falls to a certain low rpm (like 1000rpm or so), than you can downshift. But, the computer will downshift for you if your engine is at a low rpm (not sure when). For example: if your cruising in fourth gear and you come to a red light, the computer will automatically downshift to first when you stop. Experiment and you will see what I'm talking about. :)

Redlining:
This engine has a redline of 6500rpms. The redline is the point where the engine can't safely operate at the given rpms. In other words, this engine can safely operate at 6500rpms and below (granted there is a safety margin so at 6600rpms you won't fry the engine). The computer will shift automatically before it hits the redline to protect the engine.

What gear to go into when passing a Mustang?
That depends on how fast you are going? If you are going less than 40mph, than shift into first. If you are going between 40-80mph, than shift into second. Because at around 40mph, you'd hit redline. Thus, if you are going faster than 40mph, the computer won't let you shift into first because you'd be above redline. I believe redline in second gear is around 80mph.

Hopefully, I have helped. But why do I have the feeling that I just created more confusion and more questions? :D :crazy:

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Operator said:
Can you actually feel the tranny shift into 2nd from 1st while standing still? I wouldn't think there would be enough fluid pressure built up to change the gears, but hey, I'm no expert.
Yes. When standing still and I shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, you can feel the tranny shifting. You can also tell that you are indeed in 2nd or 3rd (not 1st) when you hit the gas pedal because the car accelerates more slowly and the RPMs are lower for a longer period of time. :)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Sysman said:
Another nice thing about Autostick is that it prevents you from accidentally missing a gear, and shifting into neutral, or reverse, or park...
:)
True. There have been a couple of times when I went from Autostick to reverse and didn't go up far enough so I ended up in neutral. Hit the gas and the car don't go anywhere. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.