• It's rare that I use it (10%-40%)

Votes: 12 23.1%
  • Hardley ever (<10%)

Votes: 13 25.0%
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Are you sure the auto-stick lets you start from a dead stop in higher gear? If so, that would really heat up your tranny fast. Some cars have a "winter start mode" that puts the tranny in 3rd gear from a stop. If you slow down in the auto-stick car, does it not downshift if you forget to do it? I'm sure it does, because you'll roast your torque converter and tranny internals driving around at 15 mph in top gear.

I see no difference between the autostick and simply shifting a "regular" auto manually. There is a perceived feeling of having more control with the autostick. But if you want to shift down in a regular auto, you move the shifter down one gear. Want to hold a gear longer, keep the shifter in that gear. This is nothing new, and I believe it is mostly a gimmic, as do most of the car critics. How much more do you pay for the auto-stick, which is nothing more than a few pieces of plastic in the shifter housing?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yes the autostick definitely let's you start in 1st, 2nd or 3rd gear from a stop. Yes when in autostick mode it down shifts for you if you happen to be preoccupied. I guess there's more to it than a couple of pieces of plastic.

The autostick is a standard option (oxymoron) with the R/T - not sure what other models/engines this is the same case.

Most of the car critics also prefer 6-speed manuals. What's you're point? Not everyone wants (or needs) that.

The autostick is mainly useful around the city when you want to keep your RPM's in the power range for easy passing and other manouvers. It's just plain easier and more foregiving than trying to shift around a standard automatic. My 5.0L Mustang had an automatic with a psuedo autostick type setup. I can't tell you the number of times in the heat of battle I went to down shift and ended up in too low a gear.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I guess that's the main strongpoint...that you can be more certain of what gear you're going into, and can be more agressive moving the shifter, as opposed to gingerly moving the shifter on a regular auto. I've done that ever since I started driving (picked up the habit from my dad) and am just used to it. I'm always amazed watching how many people have to look down at the gear indicator as they shift from park or in between drive and reverse, even after years and years of driving.

I am not dissing the auto-stick. I just don't think it's everything chrysler passes it off to be.

Ever see the manu-matics the World Rally Championship cars use? They just bang a lever or ring on the steering wheel up or down and it shifts. It actually cuts back the power by retarding the timing for a split second as it shifts. It sounds very abusive when the gears bang like that, but man, it must be fun!!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Every TorqueFlight and TurboHydramatic equipped car I have driven will start off in 1st even if it is in 2nd.

Yeah, the novely wore off the AutoStick soon after we got the car, but I still love having it. Good for braking and stuff, especially on downhills and on the expressways.

:alien:

·
Registered
866 Posts
Can you actually feel the tranny shift into 2nd from 1st while standing still? I wouldn't think there would be enough fluid pressure built up to change the gears, but hey, I'm no expert.

I certainly don't trust auto reviewers words exclusively either. They drive a $72,000 Mercedes for a week, and then step into a $16,000 Mitsubishi for an evaluation.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
joekd said:
I don't know about the Dodge cars but on both my SHO and the Explorer if you start in 2nd it is 2nd gear

these are the only two automatics I have owned that have done this though, even the Trans Ams and Z28's I owned would always go 1st and then 2nd gear...
So you don't feel a shift from 1st to 2nd while accelerating in 2?

I have an 85 maxima and i driven other cars as well, everytime I put it in "2" or "3" it will start from 1st gear, shift to 2nd and hold 2nd gear.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
bigdaddy said:
I'm not sure on the specs on the cars they were getting, but I remember him saying that the price they were paying for either two japanese models were about 1k to 2k within the price of the ES (my mistake, they are going with 8 ES's and 2 R/T's)
Sigh... it was probably the 4cyl, the 6cyl costs way more than r/t's I think. But with Stillen already modding brand new Altima's you know there's tons of things you can do to the car. Not only that, but I think that Altima puts down 15hp more at the wheels than the R/T.

·
Registered
4 Posts
To the rookie,
Downshift means to hit the autostick to the left (-) and go down one or more gears. Upshift means hit it to the right (+) and go up one or more gears. when slowing down, downshift and you will feel the engine's gears doing most of the braking for you. It is especially helpful on turns. ex: when coming to an intersection, downshift to 3 then 2, as you are finishing your turn and straightening out the wheel, slam it into 1st and gun it. most normal automatics hesitate for a second because they don't know if you want to accelerate in the gear you are in or if you want to downshift and gun it. the autostick lets you do it yourself. try this on the highway: if you see a Pig, instead of slamming on your brakes and giving it away that you're speeding, let off the gas and put it in 3rd gear until you are at the speed limit, then put it back in 4th and put your foot back on the accelerator. Also, when you are accelerating, you can choose to keep it in that gear until it almost redlines, where a lot of the power is, instead of the auto trans shifting for you too early.
My autostick was broken for a little, and it pissed me off. i was so used to using it to brake and corner that without it, my car seemed like a piece of unmanuverable ****. Dodge really kicked ass with this idea. I think Porsche was the only earlier car company to produce it in commercial cars. The idea came from formula one cars.
LHS--why would formula one cars use it if it was just as good as a regular automatic? There's no way. I'll take you for a ride and show you why the autostick is way better than a regular automatic.
Oh,andn for the rookie again, redline is where the marks on your tachometer (RPM meter) are orange or red, meaning that if the needle is there for too long, your engine may overheat.

SID:cool: :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
SID96 said:
Oh,andn for the rookie again, redline is where the marks on your tachometer (RPM meter) are orange or red, meaning that if the needle is there for too long, your engine may overheat.

for the rookie (SID) - redline is marked on the tach as the engine speed at which the valvetrain may develop float and destroy itself. it has nothing to do with overheating.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Firstly, I use the autostick most of the time. Except on the highway, you never know when you'll be in an emergency situation and need full-power quickly.

Secondly, on this automatic tranny issue.... MOST cars will start in 1st gear and shift through the gears to the selected gear.

SOME cars it has NOTHING to do with the gear you are in and simply holds the gears until a preset RPM is reached and then shifts up. (IE. 2nd gen, non-autostick intrepids will hold gears until about 6000RPM if L is selected, and 3300-3500RPM if 3 is selected) When slowing down in vehicles like that it, when a preset RPM is reached it will downshift.

Some vehicles with automatic trannies can start in 2nd gear, however they will have a button on the dash that will be labeled 2ND GEAR START.

Here is a quick test for you NON-autostick owners. While driving at about 25 mph (40km/h) drop your stick into (3).... Now PUNCH the gas!! if it pounds into 1st gear your tach hits 6000+ RPM then your tranny runs all gears and is NOT stuck in 3rd.

:)

·
Registered
602 Posts
My Autostick Experience.....

I really liked the Manumatic as Mercedes or BMW calls it. (Autostick) as Chrysler calls it. I found my self using it a lot in my 99ES. I have used it to slow down quickly, slow down when driving through moutain areas etc. I used it when hotrodding for kickdowns at faster speeds than automatic would not allow. However I never used it to upshift, I would just floor it and leave it in and allow the Transmission Range Sensor to shift automatically. It seemed to get me just as close to redline, sometimes seemed closer than automatic. I remember once accidentally starting off in 2nd one time in my 1999. I'm sure this is useful for winter conditions. However I do know it will automatically downshift when you are in a higher gear and you come to a stop. The only thing is that you have to remember to take it out of Autostick when using cruise control so you don't wear your tranny.

My 2002SE obviously does not have this but I find myself dropping it down into "L" (Low) a lot. It is actually similar to Autostick. I have used it to slow down at times. It's almost the same because it will still not let my engine get near redline or it will not downshift into the next lowest gear until the car slows down enough to do it safely. The only thing that sucks is the same 30MPH or below 1st gear kickdown remain in "L", 55-70 for a second gear kickdown. I hate this, I could drop my 99ES into first safely at about 45MPH with Autostick, 15 more MPH than when having it in automatic. I really miss that. Being this, I can agree that the Autostick can give you more control. I also find it convienent.

I'm going to see if something like an ASE chip can be programmed similar so I can slightly and safely raise my kickdown points in my 2002 so I don't have to buy an ES or R/T and pay higher insurance.

The only time Autostick really sucks is when your tranny is failing or you need a TCM update. I remember my 99ES used to bump really hard for quiet a while in gear when Autostick was used. After the dealership overhauled my tranny and replaced the Torque Converter the problems mostly went away but not all the way. After my TCM (Transmission Control Module) update, it always shifted smooth and seemed to even shift quicker.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
oh lord....the valvetrain is the entire assembly of cams, valves, lifters, springs, you name it - all the stuff that makes the valves open and close when they're supposed to. if you get the motor spinning too fast, you run the risk of developing float, which is when all the parts aren't working in unison anymore because the hardware can't keep up with itself (if you understood that, bad explanation). you might get parts lagging or leading, maybe going up when they're supposed to be going down, etc and when you're talking about tolerances within thousandths of an inch, even a tiny amount of play or nanoseconds of mistiming can destroy your entire valvetrain.

i know that sucked, can anyone else explain it better?

texas r/t - from one texan to another - just trying to do my best to help :)

EDIT - here's some better definitions i found on the net, www.cartrackers.com:

Valve Float: A high-rpm engine condition in which the valve lifters lose contact with the cam lobes because the valve springs are not strong enough to overcome the momentum of the various valvetrain components. The onset of valve float prevents higher-rpm operation. Extended periods of valve float will damage the valvetrain.

Valvetrain: The collection of parts that make the valves operate. The valvetrain includes the camshaft(s) and all related drive components, the various parts that convert the camshaft's rotary motion into reciprocating motion at the valves, and the valves and their associated parts.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Operator said:
Can you actually feel the tranny shift into 2nd from 1st while standing still? I wouldn't think there would be enough fluid pressure built up to change the gears, but hey, I'm no expert.
Yes. When standing still and I shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, you can feel the tranny shifting. You can also tell that you are indeed in 2nd or 3rd (not 1st) when you hit the gas pedal because the car accelerates more slowly and the RPMs are lower for a longer period of time. :)

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I know for sure that when mine sez 2 on the autostick thingie, i'm in second gear, even from a start, (i think this may be a problem? it's not always getting back to 1st gear when i come to a stop in autostick mode) i kick it to fist, feel it drop down then i move :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
LHSer said:
I swear on everything holy (and un-holy) that when I start in a higher gear, it starts in that gear.

If that is not the case, then so be it. Other than that, shifting a regular auto like a auto-stick will do the same thing.
How do you accomplish that? Doesn't your transmission column have the old D-3-L indicators? At a standstill, if you select L, won't it start off in 1st?

Just looking for a clarification....

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.