DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Knowing The Pros & Cons, Would You Use A Street Performance Brake Pad (read thread)

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm curious to your thoughts. I already know some, but I figured I would start a poll and discussion on the subject.

So what is the subject? Street performance brake pads. There are generally three (3) main categories of brake pads....OE Replacement, Street Performance/Light Autocross, and Full Autocross/Race Track.

Without going into too much detail, the OE Replacement category is where most of the brake pads in the world fall. There are certainly sub-categories in this main category, such as Premium and Value. The typical brake pad in this category offers pads that are like OE (hence the name OE Replacement). The better sub-categories (like Premium) offer the same or better performance than OE, but without creating a lot of dust or noise and doing so while maintaining a good wear rate. Some of the lesser sub-categories (such as Value) will sacrafice some performance and/or noise and/or dust and/or life, in order to hit a cheap selling price.

Some examples in this category are Bendix Titaniumetallic (Premium), Bendix CT-3 (Premium), Wagner Thermoquiet (Premium), Akebono ProACT (Premium), Performance Fricton Carbon Metallic (Premium), Bendix Global (Value), Wagner Quick Stop (Value), and Duralast (Value).

The Street Performance/Light Autocross brake pads typically offer better performance than OE, but tend to be more dusty and more noisey than the OE Replacement Premium brake pads. The performance minded people who like an aggressive brake pad and who may do the weekend race/Autocross event, are the people who use these pads. But they realize that in order to gain the performance increase they want, they will need to give up some dust and noise characteristics.

Some examples in this category are Hawk HPS, Hawk HP Plus, Satisfied GS6, Satisfied GS5, and BHP XPS.

The third category is Autocross/Race Track. These pads are designed for only track use and are not to be used on the street. They need to be hot in order to work correctly.

Some examples are Hawk Blue 9012, Performance Friction 01, and Ferodo DS3000.

Knowing the advantages and trade offs of the OE Replacement brakes pads and the Street Performance brake pads, are you the type of person that would use a Street Performance brake pad? In other words, could you live with some dust and noise to get that nice increase in performance over the stock brake pads? Now I'm not saying your wheels will turn black or that the pads will be screaming, but they would be noticeable (unless you were using cheap OE Replacement pads and than the dust and noise may even be better than what you are used to).

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I voted yes. One thing i do not like about the LH's (owned 3 so far) are the brakes. They just do not feel good. Like they are not stopping the car right away. They feel like the brakes on my old mopars with drum brakes. Next brake job, i plan on upgrading them some how.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
No way, if they squeal, I can't and WON'T use them.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
The third option can be slightly dangerous on a street driven car is they add to your stopping distance when cold. Knowing this but not the actual increased distance I'd probably say no for a daily driver.

Last brake job before this I bought the first option Wagner Thermoquiet but with 4 drilled and slotted rotors.
The braking performance was more than impressive but since they were on the squealers in 9months I went back to smooth rotors.

I now have another set of Thermoquiets and Monroe premium rotors.

From here on my daily drivers will use this combination.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
I'd jump on the second option in a heartbeat. The only problem is that the good ones cost so damn much. Brake dust and squeal aren't a problem for me.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jfsram said:
The third option can be slightly dangerous on a street driven car is they add to your stopping distance when cold. Knowing this but not the actual increased distance I'd probably say no for a daily driver.
Yes. The third option is not for a dailey driver, or for any car that is to be driven on the street. That is why this poll is about the second option, and not the third option. :)

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jossimbyr said:
The only problem is that the good ones cost so damn much.
How much is too much? Some of the Premium OE Replacement pads are around the same price. I ask because some people say $20 is too much, while others won't say it's too much until it goes over $70.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Warlord187 said:
How much is too much? Some of the Premium OE Replacement pads are around the same price. I ask because some people say $20 is too much, while others won't say it's too much until it goes over $70.
I'd be comfortable with $70 or $80 performance pads, but my wife would probably balk at anything over $40. She, of course, doesn't really care about the performance of my car. :D The only ones that I really think cost too much would be the ones in triple digits, though I'm sure they're worth it.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Being that I am currently running Hawk HPS fronts on my R/T, I voted yes. These pads are EXCELLENT. While they do make more dust, its really not an issue considering I clean my wheels at least once a week and I haven't noticed any noise. Maybe they make noise but I just never notice over the growl of the 3.5HO :grinyes:

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
I also currently run the Hawk HPS pads. I did notice the noise, but it is not all that bad, and the dust does get annoying in the winter when cleaning is not as frequent, but in the Summer when most of the spirited driving happens I do need to clean the wheels more often.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I run iRotors cross drilled (slotted eats up pads) rotors on all four corners, and Hawk HPS+ pads. Stops on a dime, no significant noise, good cold/hot performance.

First stop on a wet day is useless (crossdrilling). Knowing this from other cars, I make one stop in the driveway, no big deal.

HUGE BITE to them. Hit em hard, your chest will hurt on the shoulder belt. Comes to a screeching halt, ABS pulsating. When you warm them up, perform even better.

Noise - very subtle grinding noise when you turn radio/HVAC off and apply them, gotta really listen to notice, it's because of the pad compound. Also have a squeak on passenger side front. After thinking for a long while that this was due to the pads/rotors, something is hitting the rotor and cutting a groove on the inside of the rotor. I have one broken caliper bolt over there (replaced with generic bolt of same thread pattern. I'm going to replace the bolt and move that rotor and pads over to the other side, see if it continues or not. This is not due to pad/rotor selection, simply something is wrong with the car causing some form of metal to be touching the inside of the rotor and grooving it. There are no hotspots or hardspots in the pad that are causing this.

$300 for rotors, $100 for pads, did the work myself on a lift, took a whole hour or so, bled the brakes, $9 in brake fluid, $5 misc in caliper grease, etc.

Worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
95PGTTech said:
and Hawk HPS+ pads.
Which one? The HPS or the HP Plus? There is no HPS Plus. I'm going to be trying the HPS pads here shortly. I tried to get the HP Plus but they were on back order for an unknown period of time. From what I have read, the HP Plus are like the HPS, but the HP Plus has more bite to them, but are also a little more dusty and a little more noisey.

If you are using the HPS pads, imagine what the HP Plus pads will do. :)

·
Registered
467 Posts
HP+, wasn't paying attention

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
95PGTTech said:
HP+, wasn't paying attention
Thanks for the clarification. I've heard good things about the HPS so I'm anxious to try them out. :) I may have to hunt down some of those HP+ pads. :)

I'm anxious to see if they are as good as everyone says, and I'm anxious to see how they compare to the other pads I have been using (Bendix CT-3 and Bendix Ti2), which have been pretty good pads.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Funny you should bring up the subject, Brian. As a matter of fact this summer will probably be time for new brakes again a,d I'm seriously thinking Hawk...

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not just saying this because I work for them, but the Bendix pads I have used are darn good pads. Having said that, this just makes what I'm about to say even more impressive. Now I've only been using the Hawk HPS pads for a few days now, but holy **** are these pads sweet! The stopping power is just amazing. So far I haven't noticed any noise, but I did use liberal amounts of Ceramlub lubricant. I can't comment on dust because it's been raining the past few days. Obviously I can't comment on rotor wear or pads life yet.

Keep in mind I am also using Bendix Street HP x-drilled/slotted rotors. I'm also using a good set of ultra high performance summer tires (which are about 4 days old). Brakes slow you down, but tires stop you. :)

Because the weather has been shitty, I really haven't had time to "play". I also need to get an alignment. But so far, I am extremely happy and very impressed with the Hawk HPS pads.

I had to update my chart. :)

1 - 20 of 60 Posts