DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Did your parents influence the things you are enthusiastic about?

• Yes

Votes: 13 43.3%
  • No

Votes: 17 56.7%

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a bit of a dispute going with a friend of mine, and I'm hoping I can let the community speak for itself. Based on your experience, was your enthusiasm for cars (or anything else, for that matter) the result of the influence of your parents? For instance, having enthusiasm for your ride because your father involved you in tuning the "hot-rod" at an early age, etc... Go ahead and vote "yes" or "no", but then if you've got time, I'd be interested to know just how much or how little it was the case.

I know I don't have many posts here, but my sig page is forthcoming; I have only now had time to start investigating what can be done with my '99 ES.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
931 Posts
I know one of the main reasons I'm so into cars is because I would sit and watch my dad work on all of our cars growing up. And one of the main reasons I'm into bowling is because my mom would bring me to the bowling alley and I'd watch her bowl league when I was little.

·
Banned
2,379 Posts
I actually get kinda bummed out because my parents don't understand why I come to this site and why I'm into my car. Whenever I talk about something I'm going to do, they tend to roll their eyes. I even tried to help my Mom mod her trep a lil bit and got bitched at as she wants it all stock. Needless to say the EVIC I gave her is still in the box.

She did notice my blue interior lighting when she got in the other day which was pretty cool. She didn't like it though :(

I guess they would like to see the money spent on other things vs. my car. Sucks!

Outside of the car world, if I'm enthusiastic about something they tend to listen and support if their cool with whatever it's about. Oh well...Can't win really.

·
Registered
715 Posts
I said no because my dad is not a car guy at all. my parents and i have had this conversation, and we have not been able to figure out why i am a car guy.

Although my dad did in get me into motorcycles. and he really isnt all into motorcycles either. he is a fair weather rider. LOL

we typically dont have the same interests.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
Well, it wasn't my parents but it amounts to the same thing. My brother-in-law (16 years older than me) took me to the races every other week during the summer - I was hooked ... ;)

·
Registered
566 Posts
My dad got me into working on the cars repair, maintenance and a little bit of the customization bug but he never did much beyond some pin striping to his cars.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I voted no, I caught the car bug from my friend who got it from his father. Though I think I did get the gene from my dad. He once long ago was interested in cars but quickly became dissilliusioned and never really did anything with them. I also got my Mopar gene from him since he bought mostly Mopars his entire life and nothing but since I was born.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
My parents....uh no. They didn't even want to teach me how to drive. My best friends dad was a Mopar guy ( whole family is) and I used to help with car repairs, he help me with mine etc...but even then I wasn't too much into it. Nowdays, the more I know about my car(s) the better prepared I am with talking to a mech if he tries to screw me over.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
ltrain01rt said:
I know one of the main reasons I'm so into cars is because I would sit and watch my dad work on all of our cars growing up.
Same here. My dad was a mech for a number of years when I was growing up. When I was about 3 or 4, I remember watching him as he was doing a head gasket on a Ford Maverick with a straight six. I remember him turning the crank by hand and watching the pistons going up and down. I've always had a fascination with how things work and stuff. I think its a characteristic I was born with from my dad.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I answered "No" but it's more of a yes/no situation. My Dad's really not a car guy in terms of working on/modifying his cars. But he is the one who gave me a strong interest in Mopar (specifically Dodge) at an early age. I became a "car guy" more from watching my uncles (Mom's brothers) from an early age. Three of them worked (at least part-time) in the used car or auto parts business and they were always working on a project car...right now they are restoring my Grandfather's 1955 Chevy and a 1972 Camaro. They are Chevy guys so thats how I know the Dodge in me came from my Dad and his family.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
My father had a a lot of 383 powered B bodied mopars in the 60's. In my mid to late teens he had a 66 and 67 Dodge Chargers. All restored and fixed up. He was the Mech of the family and it rubed off on me. So now both him and me are now.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
My Dad's always been a car nut and I always went to shows with him when I was little, but I was actually into cars from the day I was born and my son's the same way. And even my daughter for that matter, from the looks of it ;)

Outside of cars though, the things I'm into are stuff like hockey, skiing, lifting, house remodeling, and my parents weren't into any of that stuff... although I got my did into hockey ;)

I think I even got my Dad into Mopars. A few years after I got my Roadrunner, he got himself one!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I Had to say no. About everything Im into I got myself into, music, poetry, writing, reading, my parents never really were into that stuff. As for Cars, well I basically just saw the intrepid and fell in love with it and wouldnt take any other car.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
My dad tought me the mechanics of cars, like doing brakes, oil changes, coolant...etc. He has had some old Corvettes (75 and a 64-still owns) that I've helped him work on since I was 7. I also got hooked on to Mopars fixing our 94 Grand Voyager, his old 93' Intrepid ES, and his Grand Cherokee. Although dad dosn't like to spend an entire saturday at the local pull-a-part junkyard, and dosn't like it when I bring home a trunk full of junk, he is still interested in some of the modifications I do.

I also learned a good amount when I took a few auto courses at tech college this past summer. Plus, I tought my self a few things here and there.

And I can't forget this website and others who are exteremly helpful in teaching me stuff!

·
Registered
488 Posts
My dad was the one who influenced me about cars, he owned a corvette shop and i would help out, although growing up i hated it, i appreciated the knowledge later on when i was on my own and could fix my own car at a young age. I picked up on bodywork and some fabrication. Never learned to paint but i am working on that, my brother did and he is teaching me. Dad raced in his younger days did alot of custom work, he built a playboy truck for the world of wheels, it was black and cool, it had playboy bunnies that you pressed to open the truck through solenoids. It had a guy with 2 ladies wrapping their arms around his legs on the hood, it was taken from a pinball machine picture. He built a Pro-street Vega for the cover of Car Craft. Hot rods were always in the scene somewhere, in fact im searching for my next project car. My last big project was a 1981 Mercury Capri nicknamed " My Pri" (mustang brother) hatchback, took out the 4 banger and dropped in a V8 from a donor thunderbird, had a auto tranny from a 64 stang, shortened up driveshaft, posi rear end, off road h-pipe and true dual exhaust. It was complete for about 2 months and then some lady rear-ended me, insurance totaled it for the age, but with all my current receipts i re-couped some of the cash. Current project car is a 1984 Mustang coupe with a 302HO. I also rebuilt my current Treps engine complete, when i bought it used with a rod knock. Yea I like working on cars, especially customization.

~Tony

1 - 16 of 16 Posts