DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums - Dodge Intrepid, Concorde, 300m and Eagle Vision chat banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a email about Engine Cradle Bushings from a person at polybushings, he said he has thought about making these. I think he would make these if there was a demand for them.

·
Woober Goobers!
49,530 Posts
I'll pass.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am checking into it he says he would need about 10 committed orders and that the price (ballpark) would be close to that of the 1 gen price. If that being the case and there is not enough people to purchase I may purchase the 10 sets I would need 3 sets which would leave me 7 sets to get rid of. oem is roughly 155.00 not including tax and shipping and no hardware so if his price comes in at or lower than that. I may do the deal.
He said the price will be around 149.00 a set and that they would need to have a metal molded into the poly.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
I might be interested in a set of these....
I would want to see pictures of them....also what about a trans mount?

·
Registered
452 Posts
im not 100% but i believe poly bushings are firmer and last longer? so id guess its like suspension and its preference if you want it tight and responsive or smooth and relaxing..... am i right?

that said i wouldn't want engine cradle poly bushings, my motor does not need to vibrate the car.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
the best way I can explain it is as it was explained to me here is the message to me.

The factory ones are made of polyurethane, but it is FOAM poly
and the foam breaks down. It gets soft and collapses.
The engine mount grade polyurethane we use will last MANY years.
Probably as long as you own the car. AND it is firmer so the front
k-frame stays put, giving better handling.
And it is priced lower for the set than the factory dealer stuff.
you will need to reuse the factory metal parts though.
Like the bolts and washers
This is my take on it. It should bring more of a sports car handling and feel by tightening up the parts in order to do this you do sacrifice some of that family car feel as do you with tightening up any parts ie springs control bushing, beefier sway bar etc. I am by no means an expert on this so I asked some who are and this is the basic summary of this. So it truly depends on what your are trying to get out of your car as for feel wise. I personally like that tight handling but that may not be your case. in the old days I had a Trans am and the high end steering and suspension package did exactly that it tightened everything up.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
The Special took a few days of driving to get used to the significantly firmer feel. I've never driven one before I owned one so I was surprised the LH could handle like this. All the Intrepids and Concordes and such do not feel at all the way this one does and quite frankly, I wouldn't mind adding to that with some of these bushings. I'm a bit backlogged on projects though. Still working on that V3 intake spacer and now the door sills are almost too cool to pass up.

What I need is a bigger bank account balance now that I'm deeply interested in these mods.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
I own one of the first "firmer" sets of poly Johnny made for us first gens and am the first he made Sway bar bushings for along with my special rear ones to fit the 1 inch bar. Dealing with him is top notch and I have never heard of anyone having an issue with him. I know he made 2nd Gen spring seats for a bit.

I can say the polys have held up perfect with not major changes over the years and honestly I can not recall any major vibration directly related to them that I already didn't have. I bought aftermarket solid rubber motor mounts (OEM are hydraulic damping) before putting the cradle bushings in so I was already use to some vibration so far as that goes I can not give you an idea. I do know in a friends 94 Intrepid with the Poly bushings with OEM mounts the engine is smooth with no vibration from stock.

In total, getting Poly bushings is a total Niche market. IF your one for handling and performance than yeah you oughta get them, otherwise if just driving lazy about to wally world is the extreme then not they are not worth it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I own one of the first "firmer" sets of poly Johnny made for us first gens and am the first he made Sway bar bushings for along with my special rear ones to fit the 1 inch bar. Dealing with him is top notch and I have never heard of anyone having an issue with him. I know he made 2nd Gen spring seats for a bit.

I can say the polys have held up perfect with not major changes over the years and honestly I can not recall any major vibration directly related to them that I already didn't have. I bought aftermarket solid rubber motor mounts (OEM are hydraulic damping) before putting the cradle bushings in so I was already use to some vibration so far as that goes I can not give you an idea. I do know in a friends 94 Intrepid with the Poly bushings with OEM mounts the engine is smooth with no vibration from stock.

In total, getting Poly bushings is a total Niche market. IF your one for handling and performance than yeah you oughta get them, otherwise if just driving lazy about to wally world is the extreme then not they are not worth it.
Thanks for the input on the bushing s i was hoping one of the 1st Gen owners would weigh in as they may have had experience with them and truly know.

·
Registered
62 Posts
AND to let you know, the engine cradle mounts have nothing to do with engine vibration. These bushings isolate the cradle that the engine sits into.

If anyone has removed the old cradle mounts (2nd Gen) that are the foam poly, I need a set!
Yes I am looking into making these.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AND to let you know, the engine cradle mounts have nothing to do with engine vibration. These bushings isolate the cradle that the engine sits into.

If anyone has removed the old cradle mounts (2nd Gen) that are the foam poly, I need a set!
If you do not get any used ones I may be able to get a set just let me know

·
Registered
4,312 Posts

The mounts still separate the engine from the frame, so they are still related far as quelling vibrations from the drive train and road.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Went to the wrecking yard this weekend and saw how they install and mount on the cars.
With the original ones and the way they foam breaks down, soon it would be metal to metal and can see where new ones (even poly) would isolate the road noise better.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts