DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Intrepid, when I have the A/C on the engine really seems to struggle. I step on the gas and pretty much nothing happens until it revs up a bit. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
A/C robs power because of the compressor (pump)...also your rear defroster takes a little power because it puts a load on your alternator....I always turn these off if I need a little more power..

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
It's noticeable because Intrepids have **** for low end torque... now that I am driving a G35 I can hardly even tell if the A/C is on.... same is true of my mother's Olds Alero.

BTW did you guys ever notice that when your Intrepid shifts it the power dies for second... same thing no torque

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
The compressor clutch disengages when you depress the gas pedal fully, for example, when you are passing someone, momentarily turning it off iis not necessary.

·
9,861 Posts
alderran said:
It's noticeable because Intrepids have **** for low end torque... now that I am driving a G35 I can hardly even tell if the A/C is on.... same is true of my mother's Olds Alero.

BTW did you guys ever notice that when your Intrepid shifts it the power dies for second... same thing no torque
Accually the 3.5L intrepid puts out its max torque at more then 1000 RPMs lower then the G35. You should really look at an intrepid dyno once. The torque line is almost straight accross. These things have mad low end torque.

The thing you felt during shifts is torque managment. I know of at least one member that has turned it off.

EDIT:Forgot to mention that I was talking about the 3.5L.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, but its getting steadily worse, I think theres a problem with something, just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
alderran said:

Yeah, that's because the computer cuts the power during the shift. An aftermarket chip (such as KenneBell) fixes this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts