DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 98 es makes a lot of popping noises when i turn the wheel and one time it got stuck. the inner tie rod bushings were just changed 2 weeks ago. the hubs were just changed like a year or 2 ago. someone told me it was the steering knuckle or the rack, someone else told me maybe the cv joints (they didn't look at it). i haven't had time to take it to a mechanic yet.

·
Registered
466 Posts
my 98 es makes a lot of popping noises when i turn the wheel and one time it got stuck. the inner tie rod bushings were just changed 2 weeks ago. the hubs were just changed like a year or 2 ago. someone told me it was the steering knuckle or the rack, someone else told me maybe the cv joints (they didn't look at it). i haven't had time to take it to a mechanic yet.
A quick visual check is to check the casing around the cv joint. If you see that the clamps on either end are loose or the casing itself is torn, jump on it right away and fix it. Once dirt or other crap gets inside, the joint goes to hell very quickly in my experience and you'll notice a very high grinding/whining sound while driving. (I know it's not called 'casing', but I can't think of the actual word for the life of me right now.)

·
Premium Member
18,390 Posts
Places like Advance have the half shafts for under $85 - *new*, not rebuilt. They're good parts. At that price, most people these days prefer to replace the complete half shaft rather than replace the boot.

·
Registered
87 Posts
you'll have to specify if it is popping while moving or sitting still or both. "getting stuck" would lead me to believe that that rack is having a problem.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
which brand of steering rack is the best for my 98? i see that autozone has one by Atsco and advance auto parts has one by Cardone and i've never heard of them before.

·
Registered
87 Posts
which brand of steering rack is the best for my 98? i see that autozone has one by Atsco and advance auto parts has one by Cardone and i've never heard of them before.
Ive never heard of Atsco, and as for Cardone aka A1, Ive many many failed parts from them, they use cheap internal parts and with as much beating as these steering racks get you may want to talk to a better quality parts dealer unless you want to replace you rack more than once.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.