DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got done reading my new Car and Driver Mag today. They had a short take on the 2002 300M Special It looks nice but it is slower. It weighs 3,710 lbs about 200 lbs more than my old 2000 R/T it weighed in at 3,518 lbs. The 0 to 60 was 8.0 sec`s and 1/4 mile was 15.9 at a 86 mph. Top end was 138 and pulled 0.82 G`s in the corners. the only area that was better was braking 70mph to 0 in 167 feet. Car and Driver was not to pleased with the numbers and said so. Special doesn`t necessarily mean better. They never said any thing about the dual exhaust sound. So you who still have their R/T`s have nothing to worry about the 300M Specials, the R/T`s are still faster. The wifes new Stratus just turned over a 1,000 miles today so i can but the hammer down and see how it runs.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I agree up to a point. If they were buying for luxury only, then why pony up the extra money for a "special"? I'm thinking any buyers are thinking, a couple of extra horses, lower gearing, nice exhaust = a "special". There is a luxury model of the 300M already. Even with 200 extra pounds it seems weird that it would be that much slower. Could be it was not broken in yet or they got one that has been beaten to death by magazine testers.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Intrepid99 said:
I do not belive the people buying a 300m special really care if there are faster cars than theirs. It's a luxury car, not a race car.
Although Intrepids aren't as luxurious, the same could be said about them to a point.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I too read the review, even if the car was the same weight as a stripped 300M it still would have been spanked by the TL Type S & the I35. The problem is the stupid tranny & compared to the two others a lack of a 5th gear.

But also take note, took 4FT. longer to stop then a Porsche Carrera, stops 19 FT. sooner the the TL Type S & 22 FT. sooner then the I35. Plus the 300M Special out handles a TL Type S & the I35. I too would doubt the 300M S would pull 0.91 G's on the slalom.

The only think the 300M Special got dinged for was the 0-60 & 1/4 miles times otherwise you would have seen a rave review.

When the 3.5 gets 300HP & a MB tranny all the manfactures are going to be hurting with a 3500+ LB. car pulls 0-60 times in the high 5's. It's already been done too but bad they weren't willing to sell a 300M Special for 40K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts