DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there is another intrepid at the dealership just like mine but with a few more options, I was wondering how I might do on a trade in. Both are red 97 3.5L ES intrepids. All things are exactly equal except thiers has a triptronic tranny, traction control, leather, alarm, tinted windows and 82,000km (50,900miles) to my 97,000km (60,200)

How much $$$ do you think I would have to throw in for a trade?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually they are asking a HUGE price, but I'm thinking they can go ahead and sell mine for a HUGE price just as easy, just wondering how much more theirs is really worth than mine.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I actually know the manager of a dealership in town and he says you are always better off selling your car than trading it in. You will get nothing near what its actually worth if you take it to a dealer. If you really want this other car I would say sell yours, put that on the car, and finance the rest if that is an option for you.

Josiah

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JLWX5 said:
I actually know the manager of a dealership in town and he says you are always better off selling your car than trading it in. You will get nothing near what its actually worth if you take it to a dealer. If you really want this other car I would say sell yours, put that on the car, and finance the rest if that is an option for you.

Josiah

That is VERY true, I would never normally try to trade in a car because I know how screwed you get but I'm just wondering since I am trading in virtually the same car could I get them to go. Hmmmm we want 7000 for our car, we could sell his car for 6200, so take his car plus 1300 and make a quick 500 and still have almost the same thing to try to sell.

I know, I know, not very likely to happen but might be worth a try. Probably will go more like this though. We want 7000 for our car, your car is almost the same and we would sell it for 6200 but we will only give you 1300 for it.

·
Banned
338 Posts
they are gonna screw you.

They will give you blue book "trade in value" for yours (if that) and they will insist on dealer retail for theirs, or not much under.

I would sell yours outright and then go buy theirs for cash.

be sure to look up the value of both cars. yours for privat party sale and theirs for dealer retail.

AJ

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
i would rather just buy the parts and mod ur trep rather than trading it in. Dealers will always want to make a buck. TRades on old cars are usually worth nothing. If you do a private sale then your idea may work. But a dealer wont treat you the same way.

Show the dealer the cash not the car.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
00r/t.mopar.muscle said:
Holy crap, they want $7000 for a 97??? Oh wait, is that Canadian??
Prob Canadian, Canada sucks in that perspective. Everything is overpriced. Even intrepids. The 2nd gens are not that bad tho, you can get a nice special for a decent price now, around 17-19k.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is Canadian actually but currently our dollar is trading at 0.89 of the US dollar so prices SHOULD be close. The price that is on the car is $8200, and locally I was quoted 1200-1300 for the trade in value of my car. Nuts eh.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts