DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a system I'm thinking of buying, definatley enough for what I need. What do you guys think?

AMD Athlon (T-Bird) 1.0GHz
128MB RAM
20GB HDD
64MB 3D Accelerator
56k Modem
10/100 NIC
52X CDROM
DVD (12x I think)
17" monitor
Standard internet keyboard, wheel mouse and speakers.

All for the grand total of $662.00 including shipping.

Good deal? Let me know.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm gonna stick with AMD, I've had nothing but trouble with Intel in the past. Besides, I've always gone with the little guy. Probably the same reason I bought a Chrysler. ;)

I have a burner laying around I'll put in if and when I get the system.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Cool, I was just joking with you. I know we all have our different tastes. I just can't bring myself to buy anything but Intel, but that's just me :)

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hear ya man. My brother is a sys admin for a company called EBA Engineering in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, (Well he runs the whole damned IT division) and he bitches and complains about Intel AND AMD. I suppose they both have upsides and downsides.

He owns a Cavalier sedan (eek!) but he's still a nice guy. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've personally had both, and I can say, from my experiance, AMD is a far superior processor. The arcitecture and SIMDs in the AMD are much more advanced than any Intel PIII or less. Talking about the PIV, well, they just plain blow butt.

Intel took a huge risk making a processor built for MhZ numbers, and I personally think it paid off, because, well, their Intel. However, they put out a sub-standard product, and I, for one, was VERY let down by their decision. The SIMDs in the PIV are meant for SERIOUS, and I mean SERIOUS gaming. Nothing on the market other than a handful of games use the commands. I guess Intel was looking into the future, and wanted to be the first to break 1.5GhZ. Oh well...I'll take my Athlon T-Bird against ANY PIV anyday.

In fact, in studies, the PIV lost horribly compared to the T-Bird, that was outnumbered by 300 MhZ! WOW!...

Anyway, it sounds to me like you're getting a nice deal on that computer...I'd go for it...if I was tired of building my own that was...LoL

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just put together a new computer and was very close to getting a 1.5ghz P4, until I started reading about how the T-birds from AMD were smoking the P4's in almost every category so here's what I bought:

1.4GHZ 266MHZ Athlon, MSI K7T266PRO motherboard, 256MB PC2100 DDR RAM, 30GB western digital ATA100, Hercules Geforce2MX-400 64MB card, sony 52x cd, sony 8/4/32 cd-r/rw, 80 buck Antec case from CompUSA, microsoft internet keyboard, wheelmouse optical, and a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1's (oh yeah, just used my existing MX300 sound card). Grand total was probably around 1500 bucks (lost track!). Still using my 17" dying Trinitron monitor too.

If anyone out there hasnt heard of them, the Klipsch speakers are probably the best you can buy, they make a 2.1, 4.1 and next month will have the 5.1. I didnt go with the 5.1 sound in my computer cuz all I have to do is turn around and I have a pretty awesome home theater if I want 5.1 sound. So far I'm pretty happy with the new system, not sure about Windows ME yet though. Alot of stuff you need to go to websites and get the most very recent drivers for them to even work! Ah well enough babling for now!

[ June 23, 2001: Message edited by: bboucher ]

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used to work in retail selling home theatre stuff. One of the brands of speakers we sold were Klipsch. Pretty nice equipment for the money. Them boys in Arkansas (Klipsch is located there) make good stuff.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have Klipsch for my home theater too, got the Legend Series (except the surrounds). I love 'em, just need to convince the wife to let me get a decent receiver to go with them :)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Bose, awe man I'm sorry :) Just kidding, you like what you like. But I do think they are EXTREMELY overpriced for what you get.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bose and Intel, man you go for the mass marketing! (Just kidding!)

I remember when working in said retail. Our boss told us to push the Bose stuff cause of the perks we got (read: BIG commisions and free equipment) but said if he had to buy it, he'd run away screaming.

But a person likes what they like, and in a democracy, who am I to judge? :)

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I guess I just get attached to brands :) I only buy Sony for my home theatre components, too :)

I guess cuz I've been usung Bose speakers since I was 13, I just got attached, same with Intel.

I'm very brand conscious. I can't wear anything unless it's Polo either!

·
Registered
164 Posts
HEHE, I'm the same way. Sony theater equipment, and Martin Logan and Accoustic Research speakers.

Computer has Altec Lansings ADA-880's...Very very nice...fill the whole house with sound when you crank them...

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I have Klpisch v.2-400's on my PC I Love em, they shake the house, have had em over a year and a 1/2 now <or close to it!> and I have Bose 501's <series 4> for my front speakers on my home theater.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Thrasher, if you love their computer speakers, you oughta try Klipsch regular speaker too! You'd love 'em, way better than Bose! ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts