DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm looking to purchase my first ever car and one of the contenders is a 1999 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 V6. Now as you all are well aware that and the 2000 model seem to have quite an issue with the engin regarding oil sludge of sorts. The vehicle seems to have 4 pervious owners and has clocked in 95,778 miles. It is being sold for $2,600, but I was thinking of trying to talk them down a bit. What are y'all's opinions on the purchase, as well as what are some tips for maintaining this vehicle. I think I recall reaidng an oil change at every 3k miles using Mobil1 synthetic 10w-30 oil.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi all, I'm looking to purchase my first ever car and one of the contenders is a 1999 Dodge Intrepid 2.7 V6. Now as you all are well aware that and the 2000 model seem to have quite an issue with the engin regarding oil sludge of sorts. The vehicle seems to have 4 pervious owners and has clocked in 95,778 miles. It is being sold for $2,600, but I was thinking of trying to talk them down a bit. What are y'all's opinions on the purchase, as well as what are some tips for maintaining this vehicle. I think I recall reaidng an oil change at every 3k miles using Mobil1 synthetic 10w-30 oil.
If it's got that milage but 4 previous owners< I'd keep looking at other options. Something is probably very wrong with it. If taken care of and if the water pump is replaced with the updated design, the 2.7 isnt really as bad as people make it out to be. Mine is still going very strong at 121k miles minus weeping valve seals. It's only been off the road a few times because it needed to have some old parts replaced but it wasn't the safest to drive so I didn't. Just make sure the maintenance is never late and you'll be golden. I think there's a guy on here that drove his 2.7 over 500k miles on the original drivetrain.

·
Registered
310 Posts
If it's got that milage but 4 previous owners< I'd keep looking at other options. Something is probably very wrong with it. If taken care of and if the water pump is replaced with the updated design, the 2.7 isnt really as bad as people make it out to be. Mine is still going very strong at 121k miles minus weeping valve seals. It's only been off the road a few times because it needed to have some old parts replaced but it wasn't the safest to drive so I didn't. Just make sure the maintenance is never late and you'll be golden. I think there's a guy on here that drove his 2.7 over 500k miles on the original drivetrain.
But this particular example seems like a complete nightmare so I'd avoid it at all costs.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Alright, thank you. I ended up being too concerned over the issues that the relatively low price didn't justify getting the vehicle.
Well, do remember these aren't worth too much even in good shape with low milage because of their famous unreliability. I paid $1200 for mine back in 2019 (I got a family discount since I bought it from my aunt but they're till cheap cars.) If your still interested In getting an Intrepid, I know this forum is incredibly helpful with any problems you may run into.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts