DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 01 SE recently developed a whine under the hood which gradually worsened. Just when I had convinced myself (after doing research here) that the problem was most likely a tensioner or pulley, the dealer tells me (yes, I took this to the dealer because I thought it might be a more specialized problem) that "both the power steering and return lines" were leaking and the sound was the pump with low fluid. He said the pump seems still to be OK but to replace the lines is "a bear of a job, about 5 1/2 hours" and quoted me $600. WOW. They won't be doing anything to the pump itself or changing any belts.

I mean, granted, I could have checked the fluid level had I even suspected that (my car is parked long periods of time, and I haven't seen any leaks...does p/s leak only when in use?) but (a) how likely is it that both lines would be leaking simultaneously, and (b) is $600 for this job in the realm of reasonable? It sure seems high to me. I should say that this is a dealership that has always seemed honest in the past, with minimal charges for resolving some past issues.

Should I get a second opinion (in which case if they're correct I'd be out the extra diagnostic time)?

Any help is certainly appreciated.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I would ask if that comes with a reach around.

You can get the high pressure line for $25.00 and the return for $15.00 at advanced.

I dont know the dealer cost but lets multiply by 4. $600-160=440 Add a quart of Atf4 and your down to $432.00 in labor. Even if it were to take them 5 1/2Hrs there charging you $78.50hr in labor? I have done the High pressure line on my old 1st gen the only tool I needed to get was a little snub wrench.I did it in the sears parking lot so anything I needed was right there. I think you can do this yourself and save a shitload of cash.

Mark

·
Registered
290 Posts
Whoever fixed my car before I owned it patched one of the P/S lines with a chunk of fuel line and some steel tubing. Well, needless to say it started to leak, without my knowledge. I blew two out of four of their so called splices before I replaced there patch job with a big chunk of power sterring hose from the steel line coming off the rack, all the way to the cooler in front of the rad. (This was in the middle of winter too, assholes) Just by looking at where the lines are (by the rack), If I was to replace them with new factory lines, it would take a hell of a long time. It almost looks like you would have to take the cowl out to do it, but I'm not sure. Plus things are sure to be siezed. So that quote might not be far off, but I've never done it, so who knows.

Keep us (or me) posted if it fixes you noisy pump, as I have fixed my leaky line, and replaced my pump with a reman from chrysler and it is still whinny. I don't know if I need a brand new pump instead of a reman or what... but I hate that sound. I had put the reman pump in before I found out about their patch job. The reman pump did run right dry once when one of their half-ass joints let go, but it was noisy before and a bit noiser after I fixed the line and refilled it. When i first put the reman pump on it the loudness of the whine would oscillate in time with the rpms, loud quiet, loud quiet, now that's run dry once it's just a steady loud whine, just like the one that was on my car when I bought it. If anyone has a nice quiet pump for sale, LMK. I hear alot of Intrepids driving that sound like mine, but the odd one is nice and quiet.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will add to the thread when I get the car back. I gave the go ahead simply because doing it myself is not an option right now, time-wise (I'm a stay at home Dad and haven't enough time to myself!!). I did check newmoparparts.com today and noted (to my surprise) that Chrysler charges $26 for the return hose and $140 (?!?!?) for the pressure hose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
(btw, won't be picking it up till the 30th...)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.