DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Needing advice! I can pay the mechanic $450.00 or if my guess is correct,
buy an under $50 part and do this myself.

From the pictures, I was wondering if the broken pieces are in fact the
Power Steering Pressure Switch?

I've been leaking Power Steering fluid for some time and air is getting in
the Power Steering Reservoir, I thought I would have to replace the Power
Steering Pump . I was told by the automotive shop that the leak was caused
by a faulty Power Steering Pressure Line, but am now wondering if the line
is fine, and it's leaking because of this potentially snapped off Pressure
Switch (Assuming that's what shows in the pictures).

This is for my 1999 Dodge Intrepid 2.7L.

Open to advice and opinion. Thank you so much.

Jose Maldonado

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
I don't see any signs of wetness on or around what remains of the switch in the high pressure line other than traces that have migrated from nearby areas.

Near the right lower edge of your 4th photo, it looks more like where their may be some actual leakage - where the metal pipe connects to the rubber line. You might try seeing if you can tighten that nut any. You don't have to go crazy with it - it just needs to be moderately snug. That is a service connection that may need an o-ring or something. Might be best to get hoses out of a junk yard if that is the problem, but don't go with that until you can truly narrow down the source of the leak.

There are two metal lines (they look just like brake lines) along the driver's side fender in the engine compartment going to the rack assembly. Visually check around those for signs of leaks. They do corrode and develop pinhole leaks.

Check the lines going to the auxiliary power steering cooler and the cooler itself (behind the grill - just a single 'U' loop, no fins) for leaks.

Also, you might want to use a proper solvent or detergent to spray all mentioned areas totally clean and dry, and then check over a few days to look for the true source of any leak(s).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Peva, thank you so much, I will do exactly as you say. I truly appreciate the time and advice. I will post an update soon. Thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I fixed the leaking Power Steering Pressure and return lines. Hardest thing I've personally ever taken on myself. No access to turn wrenches and to weave new lines out and in back in place. Had to practically take the car apart to install the lines.
I did do a UV light and Dye test the night before to be sure where the leak was stemming from. Sure enough, it was from the pressure line. Took me long enough but finally done, and working fine with no leaking or noise. Thanks for the tips, much appreciated. I now know where to come to for advice and ideas. I love my 99 even though it's a problematic engine. Just need to keep showing her love. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts